And Suddenly I Understand the Muslim "Cartoon" Riots

by MerryMagdalene 27 Replies latest social current

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I've been thinking a lot about this, watching the news, noticing the problems in communication during interviews.

I have a friend who is a Muslim and we try to explain to each other our cultural and religious differences. There is a language barrier in addition to the aforementioned challenges, but we are still friends who respect and care about each other.

I also have an acupuncturist whose wife is a JW and he gets as frustrated trying to reason with her as I do with my mom. So I told him I would print off a copy of "Why Bad Beliefs Don't Die" for him, to help lessen his frustration through increased understanding of where she is "coming from."

As I was copying this article for him these are the paragraphs that made it all "click" for me in regard to the riots:

Third, and perhaps most important, skeptics must always appreciate how hard it is for people to have their beliefs challenged. It is, quite literally, a threat to their brain's sense of survival. It is entirely normal for people to be defensive in such situations. The brain feels it is fighting for its life. It is unfortunate that this can produce behavior that is provocative, hostile, and even vicious, but it is understandable as well.
    The lesson for skeptics is to understand that people are generally not intending to be mean, contrary, harsh, or stupid when they are challenged. It's a fight for survival. The only effective way to deal with this type of defensiveness is to de-escalate the fighting rather than inflame it. Becoming sarcastic or demeaning simply gives the other person's defenses a foothold to engage in a tit-for-tat exchange that justifies their feelings of being threatened ("Of course we fight the skeptics-look what uncaring, hostile jerks they are!") rather than a continued focus on the truth.

The muslims who are rioting feel that their survival is genuinely being threatened. As irrational as it may seem to us to feel threatened by cartoons, that doesn't make the perceived threat any less real to them.

And the cartoonists themselves? They drew what they did because they were feeling their survival was threatened--their survival as free-thinking, free-speaking artists, suffering under self-censorship. So they did something provacative.

There are firmly held, fiercely protected beliefs on both sides and an escalation of defensiveness.

As the article concludes:

Skeptics will only win the war for rational beliefs by continuing, even in the face of defensive responses from others, to use behavior that is unfailingly dignified and tactful and that communicates respect and wisdom. For the data to speak loudly, skeptics must always refrain from screaming.

Skeptics must remember to always keep their eye on the goal. They must see the long view. They must attempt to win the war for rational beliefs, not to engage in a fight to the death over any one particular battle with any one particular individual or any one particular belief. Not only must skeptics' methods and data be clean, direct, and unbiased, their demeanor and behavior must be as well.

Important stuff for me right now in all my relationships

~Merry

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Very nicely expresse. There are a lot of people saying things about this issue right now, but this is probably the only first intellegent comment I've heard about it.

• Severus
    Severus

Infidel! I declare a holy jihad against you!!

• Severus
    Severus

Sorry, just feeling threatened...

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

wow...thanks, Daniel. It made sense to me and I just had to share it. I forgot this bit though which was also important to my grasping the situation:

Even beliefs that do not seem clearly or directly connected to survival (such as our caveman's ability to believe in potential dangers) are still closely connected to survival. This is because beliefs do not occur individually or in a vacuum. They are related to one another in a tightly interlocking system that creates the brain's fundamental view of the nature of the world. It is this system that the brain relies on in order to experience consistency, control, cohesion, and safety in the world. It must maintain this system intact in order to feel that survival is being successfully accomplished.

This means that even seemingly small, inconsequential beliefs can be as integral to the brain's experience of survival as are beliefs that are "obviously" connected to survival. Thus, trying to change any belief, no matter how small or silly it may seem, can produce ripple effects through the entire system and ultimately threaten the brain's experience of survival. This is why people are so often driven to defend even seemingly small or tangential beliefs. A creationist cannot tolerate believing in the accuracy of data indicating the reality of evolution not because of the accuracy or inaccuracy of the data itself, but because changing even one belief related to matters of the Bible and the nature of creation will crack an entire system of belief, a fundamental worldview and, ultimately, their brain's experience of survival

LOL @ Severus while trying to remain dignified and tactful

~Merry

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

merry,

yes, that is a brilliant article. i think the first time i read it was on CSICOP? but james thomas told me about it another time, and that's when it really sunk in.

and it's so good to readit, like every six months, for me, lol. because i get so pissed at people sometimes, and really, there is no real reason to be so pissed. we're just grapes on the same vine, some of us sour, and others sweet.

changing a worldview is so huge, that just challenging it in the first place is 70% of the battle. so it's hard for people, for sure.

but i like your context.

ts

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

It's not about the cartoons. Most of the people rioting have not even seen the cartoons.

you may be right that they are being and feel threatened. Such things are really behind the rioting. The cartoons are just the excuse.

It sort of reminds me of the LA Riots (after the Rodney King verdict). (that was a fun time). Most persons could have cared less but once the disturbance got out of hand, people started using the situation to try and do what they want or get what they want. With the cartoon riots, the underlying reasons are deeper and maybe drifts into religious feeling, so that just adds to it all, but there are also a good number who are just participating for their own desires or agenda and not out of religous fervor.

-ed

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

This reminds me of Jonathon Swift's observation.

That you can not reason someone out of a position he has not been reasoned into.

Outoftheorg

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene
    and it's so good to read it, like every six months, for me

TS...I've been having to re-read it a little more often m'self If you come back to this thread, I'd be interested to know what you think of this notion:

Finally, it should be comforting to all skeptics to remember that the truly amazing part of all of this is not that so few beliefs change or that people can be so irrational, but that anyone's beliefs ever change at all. Skeptics' ability to alter their own beliefs in response to data is a true gift; a unique, powerful, and precious ability. It is genuinely a "higher brain function" in that it goes against some of the most natural and fundamental biological urges.

...coz it occurrs to me that maybe it isn't so much contrary to those basic survival urges as it is a different expression of them. Maybe in a skeptic's brain, the feeling of survival is linked more to flexibilty in thought than to rigidity. Maybe openly questioning everything is just a different way of believing that gives a greater, or different, sense of security than one can find in a closed belief system which such a one actually finds threatening to survival?

~Merry

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I don't recall where I read this Merry.

But some where I read that beliefs were difficult to change because they are from the same part of the brain where we "just know that our car is parked in the garage".

As you said in that part of our brain dealing with our security.

We are secure in that "belief" and feel safe. Other wise we would be up every few minutes to check and make sure our car was still there.

Outoftheorg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit