Was Jesus a historical person?

by sentry35 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    It is also strange that Christianity would grow so much in the midst of such fierce opposition from Jews and Romans had Jesus been just a mythical figure invented by the apostles.

Leaving aside why, how much, when and how often were Christians (which ones?) persecuted... I fail to see how that proves or disproves the historicity of the main character of the Christian cult.

When a cult is suspected (rightly or wrongly) of threatening public order, the authorities are more concerned with its current practices and beliefs than with its historical origins. And many of the Eastern supertitiones which attracted a lot of people (and sometimes raised official suspicion) throughout the Roman empire were definitely built around mythical characters (e.g. Dionysos, Attis, Osiris, Mithra).

Also, the argument cuts both ways: it is equally strange that the Christ cult would grow so much and so quickly in the whole empire if it only started with the gradual deification of some historical Galilean character.

Not that I rule out this possibility: I personally find the issue undecidable. And secondary, inasmuch as a historical Jesus would hardly be more than the grain of sand over which the mythical Christ pearl was formed.

• undercover
    undercover

In two thousand years time will people be arguing if L. Ron Hubbard really existed or not?

• peacefulpete
  • hooberus
  • buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

about as historically real as Santa Claus.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I still can't see how anyone would die for a mythical person. The Christians were the only group in the Roman empire to be viciously persecuted, as far as I know all other religions including the Jewish one were well tolerated (until they rebelled).

I can't see how anyone would accept atrocious torture and death for a dead myth based religion, and that collective self sacrificing behaviour is a unique phenomenon in religious history.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    I still can't see how anyone would die for a mythical person.
    I can't see how anyone would accept atrocious torture and death for a dead myth based religion, and that collective self sacrificing behaviour is a unique phenomenon in religious history.

I believe the opposite: myth is exactly what religious people (and perhaps everyone) most deeply desire to die for/into.

Look around: what do people who choose to die actually die for?

The Christians were the only group in the Roman empire to be viciously persecuted, as far as I know all other religions including the Jewish one were well tolerated (until they rebelled).

Jews were persecuted long before the Jewish War (Acts mentions the ban from Rome under Claudius, Philo the persecution in Alexandria under Flaccus, etc.). Mystery cults were sometimes persecuted too (e.g. the Isis cult in Rome under Tiberius). Christians were persecuted locally and sporadically until they became really prominent in the late 3rd century. (Next century they were persecuting "heretics" and "pagans".)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit