Hot Cross Bun "Worship" Forbidden at English School!

by jschwehm 6 Replies latest jw friends

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Hot Cross Buns Banned in English School

By Hilary White

IPSWICH , February 7, 2006 (LifeSiteNews.com) – The UK’s mania for political correctness has struck again where a school has banned hot cross buns, a traditional sweet pastry associated with Good Friday. A representative of Oaks Primary School in Ipswich, said the buns, which include two strips of decorative icing intersecting in the middle, might offend Jehovah’s Witnesses who attend the school.

Hot cross buns, a spicy currant or raisin studded yeast bun, topped with a "Cross" of lemon-flavored icing, have been a feature of English culture since the Middle Ages.

The Suffolk Evening Star reported that the head teacher of the school, Tina Jackson, asked the supplier to provide the buns without the crosses. “Obviously, the hot cross bun is a celebration of Easter but it is not Easter yet,” she told the paper. Jackson did not say whether she would expel students who chanted the traditional English nursery rhyme, “One a penny; two a penny; hot cross buns.”

The local pastor of the Jehovah’s Witness congregation applauded the school’s decision. “I can understand why the school has done this and I support the decision. Hot cross buns are a pagan symbol of fertility no different to bunnies, eggs and Easter. The Bible states we should not worship things of a pagan origin.”

No information was available about what sort of services the school had been planning to allow students to worship the buns or whether they had been cancelled. Moreover, the school did not say whether the buns would be inspected by the local Muslim or Catholic authorities for possible accidental appearances of religious figures in the patterns formed by the currants in the buns.

Contact info for the school:

The Oaks Community Primary
    01473 684994
    Aster Rd
    Ipswich, IP2 0NR, United Kingdom

Jeff S.

www.catholicxjw.com

• blondie
    blondie

This has been discussed elsewhere.

I don't think the JWs asked for them to do this; I think the politically correct school administration took the initiative. I think they are more afraid of the Muslim students. I've known for years that JWs couldn't eat hot cross buns because they were pagan. Now more of the general public know.

Blondie

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Yes, hot cross buns are bad, but many JWs have no problem eating chocolate Easter Bunnies - except they usually buy them the day after Easter because you can get them cheaper.

W

• skyman
    skyman

I love to eat the cross I have eaten lots of chocolate crosses in my life.

• Ms. Whip
    Ms. Whip

Hot cross buns,
    One a penny buns;
    One a penny,
    Two a penny,
    Hot cross buns.

Fresh, sweet buns,
    Come and buy my buns;
    One a penny,
    Two a penny,
    Fresh, sweet buns.

Nice, light buns,
    Buy my currant buns;
    Come and try them,
    Then you'll buy them,
    Nice, light buns.

No information was available about what sort of services the school had been planning to allow students to worship the buns or whether they had been cancelled. Moreover, the school did not say whether the buns would be inspected by the local Muslim or Catholic authorities for possible accidental appearances of religious figures in the patterns formed by the currants in the buns.

did you add that paragraph jeffry? lol

you know, if "hot cross buns" went 75% off after easter, they'd surely end up as a tasty witness coffee break treat.

when i was young, i had a run in with hot buns (oh wait that was later in life)

i was an adorable little jw girl who really wanted to sing in the second grade choir. however, the first song i brought home to learn was "hot cross buns"

my overly-faithful jw mom took one look at the sheet music and that was the end of my singing career.

it's such a silly song and an even sillier jw fanaticism.

it's BREAD for god's sakes! and probably a lot tastier than the stale stuff served at memorials!

Here's some more Satanic food:

WARNING: Current JWs may be offended by the following images. If you are a practicing JW please shield your eyes for a moment. Unless of course it's an after holiday sale and the stuff is on clearance.

altalt

• bebu
    bebu

Reminds me... When I was growing up the schools served fish sticks on Friday, in deference to Catholic kids who might be avoiding meat that day. I thought it was a nice action on the part of the school, and everyone liked fish sticks (we got ice cream on that day, too), so in 8th grade I was surprised that an Episcopalean friend began complaining about it, and said that the school should deliberately serve meat on Friday, just to prove the school was completely secular.

I thought, how incredibly childish. No one else cared about it. It might have been a problem during Lent, that's all. He was a tempest in a teapot. Why create a problem where none exists??

bebu

Who loves hot cross buns and pretzels.

• kristyann
    kristyann

Why did they say "the pastor of the local JW congregation?" Didn't they investigate and figure out there ARE no evil pastors, only elders? Wouldn't want to offend them... have to be "politically correct," after all.

LOL THAT IS SO FUNNY about the clearances. I absolutely CANNOT STAND how JWs go on and on about holidays and then run right out the day after the holiday to buy the super cheap Halloween candy, Easter candy, Valentine's candy, etc. THEY ALWAYS DO THAT. It's probably the only time they buy candy all year because it's too expensive the rest of the time. It must be a real treat for them and their kids! By the way, my boyfriend's JW mom lectured him when we first started going out (when he still lived with them, and when we still talked to them)... she said 'NO CHRISTMAS CELEBRATIONS WITH KRISTYANN'S FAMILY." and "DO NOT ACCEPT CHRISTMAS PRESENTS FROM THEM" and saying "CHRISTMAS IS DEMONIC." And then I went over there THAT SAME DAY to pick him up and she and her daughters were MAKING COOKIES WITH RED AND GREEN FROSTING. But they weren't Christmas cookies, right? Just "red and green frosting cookies," I presume. That they happened to make on the day everyone else is celebrating Christmas. WHAT is that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit