JW writing committee: Incapable of seeing the irony!

by sir82 11 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

The March 1 Watchtower's cover asks the question, "Where can you find Christ's teachings?"

Meanwhile, in the very same magazine, we get 2 study articles containing the following:

-- which type of video & video game to avoid

-- avoid large social gatherings

-- which type of music to listen to, and which to avoid

-- unseemly conduct when youths get together

-- Avoid internet dating sites

-- Avoid medical treatments that involve things that seem spiritistic

And so on.

Now, I may not be the most perceptive bloke in the pub, but I'm pretty darn sure that none of "Christ's teachings" addressed any of the above.

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

you are spot on

• willyloman
    willyloman

Q. "Where can you find Christ's teachings?"

A. "Not here, we're all about the Old Testament. You want the church down the street, the big one with all the cars in the parking lot"

• greendawn
    greendawn

They like to create laws that are unnecessary and burden with these their followers, but will do nothing to help them in practice. They are like the Pharisees. Christ had the wholesome refreshing approach of love.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I love the new "Bible Teach" book.
    In the chapter about Jesus they talk about how people know who Jesus is and even his name, but that dosn't mean anything. We need to know more than just his name, we need to learn about him, what he stood for ect...
    That's not a direct quote, but it's the idea of what is said. Compare how they treat the name of Jesus at the start of this chapter with how the view the name Jehvoah. It's amazing, they don't even realize they are doing it.

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda
    Compare how they treat the name of Jesus at the start of this chapter with how the view the name Jehvoah.

Can u enlighten us Drew?

• KW13
    KW13

What gets me is that the true purpose of this cult is to cut people off from the rest of the world, put a lot on their shoulder and make them feel worse when they crumble under the weight. Its a money making organization, and what gets me is how there is no room for personal opinion. You either agree or disagree and shut up and don't tell anyone. How these people can have views on things like this isn't a shock, its just how far they go to set them in stone. Its based on fear, and unless i am crazy Jesus said his yolk is light, easy to carry and that despite trials you wouldn't be alone. Youths are torn to pieces with guilt over masturbation and attraction to a girl/lad depending on their sex (or preference). Who are the society to destroy a life so early, and mould people who HAVE feelings and emotions.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I don't have the book with me, but in the beggining of the chapter about Jesus it basically talks about how learning about Jesus is much more than simply knowing his name.
    If you read the paragraph and then insert the name "Jehovah" all of the pride they take in the name goes right out the window. I was simply amazed that they used this kind of reasoning, especially since they put so much importance on the name Jehovah simply because it isn't as well known, but since the name Jesus is well known they come at it from a differant angle, the same angle that critics of the Watchtower point to when discussing their emphesis of the name Jehovah.

Did that make sense? I'll post what the book says when I get home, that might show what i'm talking about.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

They never seem to see the irony. I thought the supreme example was the article in which they ripped the Amish for their shunning practices. I mean, can you get much more ironic than that?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    -- Avoid medical treatments that involve things that seem spiritistic

The scriptures make no mention of Jesus having had x-rays, ultrasounds, or blood tests, therefore Jehovah's Witnesses should avoid these practices.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit