Book Study Time - Animal Farm

by jgnat 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• M.J.
    M.J.

just to let you guys know, I found the old animated film in the 99 cent pile of DVDs at Wal-Mart.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

One of the parts I liked the best was how the pigs made laws for the animals to live by which were reasonable, but one by one the laws were changed in a way that would benefit only the pigs, and then it was made to look like it was that way all along.

Example: The 1st and 2nd commandment "Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy" and "Whatever goes on four legs and has wings is a friend" was changed to "Four legs good, Two legs better." The 4th commandment, "No animal shall sleep in a bed" was changed to "No animal was to sleep in a bed with sheets." The 5th commandment, "No animal shall drink alcohol" was changed to "No animal shall drink alcohol to excess." The 6th commandment, "No animal shall kill another animal" was changed to, "No animal shall kill another animal without cause." The 7th commandment, "All animals are equal" was changed to, "All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others." Also the 3rd commandment, "No animal shall wear clothes," was broken by the pigs with no explanation.

What analogy can we find here with the Governing Body? The one I can think of right now is, "No Christian may take a blood" was changed to "No Christian may take blood unless it is a fraction."

• Robdar
    Robdar

Sorry, don't have time for a book study but I wish I did. Animal farm is an awesome book. Jgnat, you made an excellent choice.

Enjoy your study.

Robyn

• jgnat
    jgnat

Anyone?

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I'd like to try it! Haven't read it since I was at junior school but I loved it

I also studied '1984' for my English Lit 'O' Level. Equally good and frightening

• jgnat
    jgnat

OK, time for chapter 2. See my link at the top of this thread. Any comments?

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

I'm all for the bookstudy! I really want to sit down and dive into this book since I have been hearing so much about it!

jgnat best thing to do is maybe plan a set time and day for the bookstudy each week and maybe send a weekly PM to everyone involved when its close to the date.

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

So there is a movie too? I have my copy on hold at the local library. Can't wait!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Herding cats. I tell you, it's like herding cats. JWD posters just WON'T be organized. But that's not all a bad thing. I like it that you all are such stubborn individualists.

Believe it or not, stillawitness, I've tried this with another initiative with very limited success. Also, with my JW hubby skipping more and more meetings, my evenings are filled with mushy fuzzy young couples kind of stuff. Ifyouknowhatimean.

I'm often on early in the morning, MST, but I realize most of you sign on in the evenings.

Nevertheless I'll try 8:00 MST on Tuesday nights. That's 10:00 EST.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    8:00 MST on Tuesday nights. ; That's 10:00 EST.

3 am (4 am in a few weeks time)

requesting permission to arrive late for the study!

I'm gonna go and buy a copy of the book to read this week.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit