What 'crutches' have you employed to break the mind control?

by AK - Jeff 14 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Once we determined that the 'truth' was not, there was much more to do in getting deprogrammed. I have become aware that I have used a few mental games to 'unlock' from the Watchtower mindmeld.

• Cussing. I was never a cusser, not even in private. I now do occasionally use the 'expletive deleted' method of reminder that I am not subject to a legalisitic system any longer. There are still certain words and phrases that I detest and refuse to use because of my personal views. But damn, hell, shit, are no longer on my 'guilt list'. Every time I utter a cussword it reminds me that I am no longer a witness and it makes me smile.
    • Refusal to judge others quickly. The watchtower 'quick assessment program' of cubbyholing everyone into a 'label' of one sort or another is a powerful tool. It creates and sustains a we-them mentality. It perpertuates the dominant self righteous judgmental spirit that keeps witnesses from seeing outside the box painted for them. I deliberately work now to see the good in others in spite of outward indicators. Labels that perpertuated my own self elevated delusions as a witness were triggers that tightened the Wt noose. Facial hair, tattoos, hair styles, sexual preferences, religion, philosophy. I do my best to go headlong into understanding those I meet without filtering them now. Not only is this a better way to live, but it loosens the wt stanglehold on my thinking.
    • Read, read, read! Talk and listen! I have put nothing out of bounds that will educate and enlighten me. I have intentionally looked into subjects that were off limits in the witchingworld of watchtowerland. I read about other religions, other holy writings, as an example. I listen to Christian radio when it appeals to me. I read history and let myself get involved in the emotion of events, not just as academic exercise. I read and try to understand the perspective of others on this board that have become pagan, athiest, agnostic, born again Christian, practice yoga, martial arts, eastern religion, gnostic faith, etc. I do it to create an open mind. I have had fascinating conversations with others about ghosts, UFO's, spiritualistic experiences. I have sought websites that just give me fresh perspective on subjects of all sorts. I am not seeking 'truth'. I am seeking freedom from bondage.
    • New experiences. I am trying to find ways to expand the narrow universe that I was in. One wonderful poster here has offered to aid me in developing 'artistic talent' in poetry. [Of couse she has no idea of the work she has taken on].

My efforts are aimed at 'taking off the new personality' as it was formed by the Watchtower society. I do not wish to become a 'rebel' though without a cause. Just rebelling does little to mold one's true perspective, as it lurks often in the deep recesses. I really wish to root it out. Some traits that became part of me as a witness, I intend to keep. I consider them good and proper and fitting for myself. Others are just clearly part of the cult mentality and mental cliches that hold one into a mindset. These I seek to unlock and unburden myself of them.

What 'tricks' have you used to unlock the real you? Without sacrificing the good parts that came from your witness life?

Jeff

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

G'day AK-Jeff,

Good post!

Driving home tonight, Rachael Cahn, on her program "Spirit of Things", interviewed Steve Hassan author of :
    "Commbatting Cult Mind Control."
    His book was a big help when I stumbled across it whilst trolling a christian bookshop in the early nineties.
    http://www.freedomofmind.com/

Every time I utter a cussword it reminds me that I am no longer a witness and it makes me smile.

Me too and..

Every time I vote it reminds me that I am no longer a witness and it makes me smile.
    Every time I smoke it reminds me that I am no longer a witness and it makes me smile.
    Every time I don't shave it reminds me that I am no longer a witness and it makes me smile.
    Every time I burn a tie it reminds me that I am no longer a witness and it makes me smile.
    Every time I see a JW it reminds me that I am no longer a witness and it makes me smile.
    Every time I read a real book it reminds me that I am no longer a witness and it makes me smile.
    Every time I go fishing it reminds me that I am no longer a witness and it makes me smile.
    Every time I discus politics it reminds me that I am no longer a witness and it makes me smile.
    Every time I celebrate something it reminds me that I am no longer a witness and it makes me smile.
    Every time I purchase a lottery ticket it reminds me that I am no longer a witness and it makes me smile.
    Every time I call an Elder a shithead it reminds me that I am no longer a witness and it makes me smile.
    Every time I post and get posted at on JWD it reminds me that I am no longer a witness and it makes me smile.

This list could go on to time undefinite .. unclebruce aka smiley

http://www.freedomofmind.com/

• jgnat
    jgnat

OK, I can't match Uncle Bruce, but I'll share some goofy ones.

• Read the literature aloud in squeaky-weird-robotvoice.
    • Sing the Kingdom Melody the same way, or super-perky pollyanna style, extra loud.
    • Use your highlighter more creatively. Run off the page. Add mustaches, even to the women. "Accidentally" cross out the really awful stuff. Write how you really feel in highlighter in big, fat letters.
    • Bring a blank notebook and doodle.
    • After a particularly sticking phrase is introduced, repeat it over and over during the week. My favorite, "Jehovah's People are the Happiest People on Earth." I'd use it at most opportune times say, when our car gets a flat. See "squeaky-weird-robotvoice."

For real, mention all the commendable, naturally good qualities of your partner that the JW's didn't put there.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Your list exactly Jeff. The only other thing is flipping joehoba off every time I pass a KH. Ezkl 8:17 tells us that is especially annoying to him.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Just this morning I read an interesting article in the latest National Geographic Adventure. The article is entitled "Hell and Back". Written by Kira Salak, it outlines her experiences in dealing with Amazonian shamans and their use of ayahuasca to promote spiritual healing. Quite interesting. Not sure I want to travel to Peru to get high and sick and scared to death on the drugs and potions they use, but as a witness I would not have ever read the first word.

Jeff

• stillconcerned
  • freedomlover
    freedomlover

I'm still trying to remember to say "bless you" when someone sneezes.

that will be a big mental break for me.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I really can't see anything good that came out of the JWs anything good they had came from other religions and everything they originated has no value and wears out quickly with time.

I did a lot of reading to counter the JW propaganda and met with religious people from other religions to personally ascertain that they were very sound people. In fact better than the average JW.

• ferret
    ferret

Uncle bruce I agree with your thinking.We all have daily reminders like this.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Plan for my retirement.

Read about taboo subjects

Plan for my nose piercing

Learn about local politics and who to vote for /not to vote for next election

Donate $/ to charitable orgs

Shop at places the JW's I know are afraid of

Go to the various religious/spiritual sections at the book store without worrying about getting caught

Things that remind me I'm me and not a bot.

meagan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit