Dist. Conventions and Circuit Assemblies ~ Questions...

by Riverwatcher 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Riverwatcher
    Riverwatcher

Hi Everyone,

I've got some questions about district conventions and circuit assemblies. What are they, exactly? What goes on there? Are J/W's required to attend them? What if they can't afford to go? What if their job interferes with attending? How often are they held?

A year or so ago, my j/w DIL and son and grandbaby were heading through town to attend one of these functions (not sure which one) and I said to DIL "if you want, Grandbaby can just stay with us while you guys are at the convention". The baby was barely over a year old at the time. Without missing a beat, DIL repliied "oh no...we've got all her outfits picked out". Struck me as really odd, but come to think of it, there have been numerous mentions of "what so and so wore", or comments about getting new clothes for these functions. So, whats up with that? Is it part brainwashing, with a little bit of fashion thrown in?

Please clue me in here. Thanks!

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Oh yeah. All witnesses are encouraged to go including younglings. It's a real meat market and fashon show for "brothers" and "sisters" looking for potential mates.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

The District Convention is like Woodstock to Jehovah's Witnesses. The Society pretty much demands attendance. For many it's the only vacation they can afford. There is very little tolerance for those without enough money to attend, as surley they could have been saving their pennies from the previous year. If your job interferes you are encouraged to quit or be fired, with the hope of Jehovah finding you a new job later.

For the younglings a DC is like a night club. The young brothers buy new suits, and the sisters sexy new dresses. When lunch comes they all spring into the hallways in a desperate effort get names and numbers.

I used to love District Conventions. I met my wife at one.

• calico
    calico

You are suppose to bring your baby to all meetings--so they can learn "the truth" from infancy!

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Struck me as really odd, but come to think of it, there have been numerous mentions of "what so and so wore", or comments about getting new clothes for these functions. So, whats up with that? Is it part brainwashing, with a little bit of fashion thrown in?

Please clue me in here. Thanks!

You pretty well have it spot on, Riverwatcher. Amazing how the perception is for someone on the outside looking in.

Everything about the cult is how it looks to outsiders. As seen by the flood of new converts to JWdom the Watchtower is in for some lean times. I guess old Ted and the boyz on the Governing Body had better start learning to like pinto beans and cornbread

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS is an organization that bases its beliefs very much on the OT rather than on the teachings of Jesus Christ. As to bringing children to the meetings at the KH and the conventions/assemblies, they use this scripture.

(Deuteronomy 31:10-12) 10

And Moses went on to command them, saying: "At the end of every seven years, in the appointed time of the year of the release, in the festival of booths, 11 when all Israel comes to see the face of Jehovah your God in the place that he will choose, you will read this law in front of all Israel in their hearing. 12 Congregate the people, the men and the women and the little ones and your alien resident who is within your gates, in order that they may listen and in order that they may learn, as they must fear Jehovah YOUR God and take care to carry out all the words of this law. Blondie

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

(Hebrews 10:24-25) 24 And let us consider one another to incite to love and fine works, 25 not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another, and all the more so as YOU behold the day drawing near.

• Balsam
    Balsam

The sad thing is that we would never allow anyone to care for our little ones even if they offered. It is important for the brainwashing to begin in infancy the WTS Leaders believe.

That is to bad it would been such a treat for your grandbaby to have fun with you rather than being whipped for making baby noises at the convention. Kids have to be taught to sit still and be quite from babyhood. Some parents just walk them out in the lobbys which is frowned on.

Ruth

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

These events are big social occasions as well. The "young ones" especially get excited about new outfits and such, mostly because many of them are trying to "hook up". I don't think the conventions fit much into the brainwashing catagory as they do simply into the "oh my goodness" catagory. The convention sites are just overflowing with large amounts of cheese all weekend long.

• moshe
    moshe

I started going to assemblies in 1972. In those days they were still having them in outdoor stadiums for the most part. Almost every year we would hear of some heat related tragedy. One year at our assembly a 4 week old baby girl died from heat stroke- all because of the -"just had to make the assembly at all costs- can't miss out on the new light", mentality in those days. I feel very sad right now, wondering what might have been for that little girl , if her parents had just listened to their own good judgement and stayed home from the assembly that year. Of course , the recently minted JW's see nothing of the past 4 generations of wasted lives, broken homes and lies and deaths that can be attributed to following the WT's false teachings. Never let them forget, that is our job, our burden.

peace,

Moshe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit