Beanz!

by BrendaCloutier 7 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

With ham hocks and some ham tidbits. Every bean I could find in the cupboard - red beans, white beans, pintos. I now have 1-1/2 gallons of bean soup ready for dinner. Oh how I love my pressure cooker!

Onion, 2 cans diced tomatos, 4 chipotle chilis, some wakame seaweed (to help break down the been fiber - reduces fartage) and salt.

Southern corn bread and stick salad and YUM!

• prophecor
    prophecor

The Man of The House Has GotTo Be One Happy Happy Camper. Soundz Good Brenny Bren

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

Yum. Makes me want to go out and buy one of my own.It's probably one of a handful of cookware i don't have, that and a big old fish poaching thing...

• delilah
    delilah

reduces fartage)

lol, Brenda. I use my crock pot, probably 3-4 times a week, I love it, and it makes mealtime so easy.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I'm glad you are loving your bean soup and...........................................what is wakame seaweed?

reduces fartage)

What I am really concerned about is the Google ad that appears right under this post. The one that advertises..........

THE SEVEN PERFUMES OF THE BIBLE.

HappyDad

• rebel8
    rebel8
    stick salad

What's that??? Doesn't sound so good.....

• greendawn
    greendawn

That sounds like a great inspiration to cook something delicious out of whatever happens to be available, and especially if that ham was smoked. Does the pressure cooker cook the bean stew much faster or better?

To prevent beans from causing gases soak overnight and discard water, then boil for five minutes and again discard new water with the froth, and finally cook in a new lot of water. I do that with white beans and I can tell you it works, it reduces gases by 95%.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

The pressure cooker does cook things much faster. I am aware of soaking overnight then tossing the water. I didn't do that. Hence the wakame - the enzimes help break down the tough bean fibers that don't digest well, hence the fartage. No fartage last night!

(FYI, I have a 6 qt Fagor brand)

First I pressure cooked the smoked pork hocks (2) for an hour - coulda been a half-hour but I lost track :)~ . Took them out to cool and pull the meat off. Then I threw the beans in the water with seaweed, onion and 4 chipotle chilis (too many! Just a little too spicy for my taste) and some salt and pressure cooked for 40 min. Then I tossed in 2 cans of diced tomatoes and more water and ham and pressure cooked another 30 minutes. Voila! Beanz! In reality it could all have been tossed in together and the hocks fished out after the fact.

It was really good too. And I have 3 quarts in the freezer for future meals.

STICK SALAD: rabbit food. Carrot stix, celery stix, radishes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit