the letter to timothy, only a letter to timothy?

by sowhatnow 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Magnum
    Magnum
    disposable hero of hypocrisy: The answer keeps getting made at out Hall that it's soo wonderful that God chose imperfect men to record the bible cos we can relate to it. I want to stick my hand up and say NO, it'd be better if it was beamed down by angels then there wouldn't be inconsistencies and contradictions. Of course if that HAD happened then they'd all be answering about how wonderful it is that God didn't use imperfect humans to transmit his thoughts like all those other imperfect holy books, as mistakes would be bound to creep in. Confirmation bias at its finest.

That is SO TRUE! I was thinking when I wrote one of my posts above that it would have been better if God's communication to man had just been beamed down by angels. Then the whole "what should be included in the canon issue" and many other problems wouldn't exist. And, yeah, JWs would blather on about how wonderful it was either way.

books written by different men - JW: "Isn't it wonderful that God used imperfect men to write the Bible so we can relate to it and it has a human touch to it?"

one document beamed down by angels - JW: "Isn't it wonderful it that God didn't use imperfect humans to transmit his thoughts as he did with all those other imperfect holy books, as mistakes would be bound to creep in?"

That reminds me of something that happened when JWs were studying with me about 33 years ago. The study conductor was talking about being brainwashed and how bad it was that some religions brainwash people. He then looked at me and asked me whether I felt that JWs were brainwashing me. I could tell that he fully expected me to say "Oh no, I've never like that." However, I was honest, and said that I did sort of feel that I was being brainwashed. His answer? "Oh, but don't we really need for our brains to be washed or cleaned?"

Huh??? He'd just gotten through preaching to me about how bad brainwashing was, and he then turns around and says we need it.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Ha! PURE confirmation bias. WhatEVER happens, it's jahs will.

I remember a brother getting slagged off for getting materialistic, having a nice new beemer, obviously being blessed by satan because he wasn't reaching out. There were three elders locally with beemers and mercs! But, oh no, they weren't materialistic, they were being blessed by Jehovah!

Whatever...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit