Jesus no longer really "a god"?

by M.J. 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• M.J.
    M.J.

Thanks MS! I was just going to post the text this morning but I see you beat me to it.

I apologize for going off half-cocked on this one. I should have refrained from posting until I got my hands on the article again. The portion which originally caught my attention was this one:

The Bible identifies Jehovah as the only true God. (Psalm 83:18; John 17:3) The prophet Isaiah recorded God's own words when he said:"Before me there was no God formed, and after me there continued to be none. I--I am Jehovah, and besides me there is no savior."--Isaiah 43:10, 11. ...The Scriptures do at times refer to actual persons as gods. However, a careful examination clearly reveals that the term "god" in these instances is not intended to designate these individuals as deities. Rather, in the origional languages in which the Bible was written, the term "god" was also used to describe a mighty person or an individual who is divine or closely associated with the Almighty God. For example, some Bible verses allude to Jesus Christ as a god. (Isaiah 9:6, 7; John 1:1,18) Does this mean that Jesus is to be worshipped? Jesus himself said: "It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service." (Luke 4:8) Clearly, although Jesus is mighty in power and divine in nature, the Bible does not portray him as an object of worship.

I missed the fact that the WTS is playing word games here. First they say "a god" does not refer to a deity. Then right away they turn around and say "a god" refers to someone who is divine.

• M.J.
    M.J.
    de·i·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d
    n. pl. de·i·ties
    1. A god or goddess.
      1. The essential nature or condition of being a god; divinity.
      2. Deity God. Used with the.
    2. M.J.
      M.J.

I should have named this thread, "Jesus is divine but not deity"

3. Super_Becka
      Super_Becka
      I missed the fact that the WTS is playing word games here. First they say "a god" does not refer to a deity. Then right away they turn around and say "a god" refers to someone who is divine.
      I should have named this thread, "Jesus is divine but not deity"

Maybe we should get a show of hands for who believes that Jesus is divine and should be worshipped as God is worshipped and who believes that he is merely a "lesser god" or an angel or whatever, that'd be interesting.

-Becka :)

4. BlessedStar
      BlessedStar

Jesus was never a god. He is God. He is the creator.

BlessedStar

5. BlessedStar
      BlessedStar

1 John 5:7
      For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

1 John 5:6-8 (in Context) 1 John 5 (Whole Chapter)

Blessedstar

6. Narkissos
      Narkissos

BlessedStar,

Just look up 1 John 5:6-8 in any recent version. And forget about this one.

7. BlessedStar
      BlessedStar

Just look up 1 John 5:6-8 in any recent version. And forget about this one.

That's just my point exactly. You see this verse has been taken out from alot of bibles.

It's like having a will to include, let's say your own daughter, and somehow on your deathbed, benefits for your daughter was taken out by the person, let's say the step mother.

See

blessedstar

8. Narkissos
      Narkissos

As pretty everyone here knows, the words which have been "suppressed" in recent versions were simply not part of the original text of 1 John. They don't appear anywhere before the late 4th century (in Latin), and only later made their way into Greek manuscripts (the oldest Greek manuscript which contains them is of the 11th century).

9. BlessedStar
      BlessedStar

They don't appear anywhere before the late 4th century (in Latin), and only later made their way into Greek manuscripts (the oldest Greek manuscript which contains them is of the 11th century).

Where did you get such info from?

Blessed Star

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit