Birthdays banned in 1951?

by M.J. 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• greendawn
    greendawn

Rutherford took the JWs a long way out from the Russelite roots, Russell used to give a gold 5 or 10 dollar coin to every bethel family member as a Christmas present.

• M.J.
    M.J.

That was a rhetorical question, Becka. I think it's pretty safe to say it's busted. The only dissenter was TD, but he couldn't find any contrary evidence .

We have a real-life eye-witness that confirms the material evidence.

Incidentally, I can really see how Leolaia has a real skill for understanding the mentality/position of a writer, be it ancient or modern. Did you see how she immediately started breaking down the position of the WTS on this based on some semi-related text?

The Watchtower Society banned the celebration of birthdays in 1951. Yet another big "pagan practice" that didn't seem to dock them enough points to take away their role in fulfilling bible prophecy down through the 1940s.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    The Watchtower Society banned the celebration of birthdays in 1951. Yet another big "pagan practice" that didn't seem to dock them enough points to take away their role in fulfilling bible prophecy down through the 1940s.

Thank you, MJ. You have to be patient with us non-JWs, we're a little slow sometimes. After all, we all grew up with our freedom of thought, so trying to twist our brains enough to understand the WTS's logic, or lack thereof, is hard and painful for us.

I liked this discussion, though, it does a wonderful job of outlining yet another perfect example of WTS hypocrisy - Christmas was evil and pagan in the 1930s, but it took almost another 20 years to decide that birthdays were just as evil.

-Becka :)

PS: MJ, glad to see another Mythbusters fan!! Love that show!!

• M.J.
    M.J.

Remember, I'm no JW myself. Never had any "love for the Empire".

I just have several more years under my belt in a JW relationship than you. (see what you have to look forward to? )

This board allows you to have apostate knowledge without the stigma.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Thanks yesidid, for sharing a bit of your history.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    Remember, I'm no JW myself. Never had any "love for the Empire".

Ooo, sorry about the mistake, I presume that you're probably very relieved that you've never been a JW, I know I am!!

I just have several more years under my belt in a JW relationship than you. (see what you have to look forward to? )

Wonderful, I know I'm looking forward to that. At least my boyfriend is about as inactive as they come, I don't think he even remembers what the inside of a KH looks like anymore. There might be some hope after all!!

In the meantime, I'm sticking with this board, I quite enjoy it... and I admit, it's a horrible addiction for me.

-Becka :)

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Very interesting! Another example of how the WT puts a spin on their history.

Randy

Net Soup!

http://www.freeminds.org

• yesidid
    yesidid

Yes the change definately came in '51. Saying otherwise is another example of their rewriting history.

I was there and felt the pain. It is one of the clearest memories of my childhood/youth.

Questions from readers is a time honored way for the WBTS to change or modify doctrines.

Even the blood doctrine has been changed through the back door of QFR.

yesidid

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Well lets throw this into the stew on this birthday thing.

I was born in 11/27/35 my first clear memories started in 1942 and I recall asking my mother why didn't I have a birthday party like some of the neighbor kids did.

I got the old "well we jw's don't these things that Jehovah doesn't like. Or something to that effect.

Along with we don't celebrate christmas or mothers day and an explanation I can't recall.

So even if the ban on birthday parties were not in print and official, they were being used at that period of time. It may have been a "word of mouth" distribution of and "its a conscience decision".

Sound familiar??

Outoftheorg

• ferret
    ferret

I grew up a JW in the forties and fifties with four siblings and do not remember ever celebrating birthdays.As you can see we do now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit