Speaking in tongues

by Stewart75 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hey Rev. Gumby,

Glad you're resuming your Sunday ministry at last...

About early Christian glossolalia (I just figured out I was writing it wrong ), the best source of info is 1 Corinthians 12--14 itself (evidently much earlier than Acts). See my first post on this thread (http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/106903/1856394/post.ashx#1856394). But similar practices seem to have been widespread in Greek religion from ancient times down to the Hellenistic and Roman periods (Dionysos and Delphic cults, Sibyls, Hermetism and magical circles all had their own kind of "strange speech" to show "inspiration"; cf. TDNT I,722ff). Since Gerd Theissen opened the way to a socio-psychological approach of the NT in the 1980's, a number of scholars (including quite a few Pentecostals) have studied the role and function of glossolalia in the Corinthian Church. Just google "glossolalia + Hellenism + Corinth" and you'll get a lot of interesting (and of course contradictory) links.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

From an upper room you can see along the way, and catch the wind well.

There's a tongue - need interpreting ?

It all doesn't come out in English to quickly.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i have practiced this "speaking in tongues" thing on females. they love it. <--- lookie, a tongue.

Gumby,

Said Simon (not) to the Pie Man, indeed I have not any. Sorry, no shih tzus or dobermans to produce the requested waste product, but alas, no need anyway given the lack of a positive response to your challenge. I think you won?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I'm of the opinion that Paul was struggling with just how to wean the new Corith converts from their deeply ingrained "Pagan" practices which included tounges as Narkisssos pointed out. He did not want to allienate them by demanding they stop yet wanted to diminish its importance in their minds so they would become more 'Jewish' in character. He seems to vacillate a bit on just how to approach the subject.

Gumby the dog poo eating is optional.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit