Yep, even a blind person can see it.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I resemble that! I'm not blind.

I'm not, I tell ya.

• wombat
    wombat

NO WAY....

Members of the WTS freely and happily do whatever they are told to do.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

That's right.

You tell 'em, wombles!

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

they're the "HAPPIEST PEOPLE ON EARTH!!" damnit!!

• wombat
    wombat

Yeah...A cult is like that mob in Jonestown. It dragged all of it's members away from their families. It made them promises that didn't happen. It made them forget about the potential of a beautiful life here and now. And you know what happened next.

The JWs aren't like that at all.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I try and avoid the word (unless I'm really mad) not because it doesn't fit, but because there are negative emotions attached to the word. People react emotionally without thinking. Use it with a Jehovah's Witness and they will recoil, "Of course I'm not!" At least when I use "high control group" they have to think for a minute.

There are other ruined words in the english language that fit by definition, but we rarely use these days.

I like the connotations of "civil servant". But few of my colleagues do these days. They don't want to think of themselves as a servant to anybody. Besides, when was the last time a member of the public service was civil to you?

And gay. A delightful word, full of joy and laughter. But it has exclusive use these days.

Humbug is a lovely historical word. We should bring it back. After all, there's more humbug and flim flam floating around today than ever before. But we only expect Scrooge to use it, and he's given it a bad reputation.

• wombat
    wombat

Jgnat...I think my favourite word is "titilating".

My daughter says that I am a very sad person.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit