Part 2: We Long to Hear These Words

by Amazing1914 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

When people are faced with being a victim of a crime or other wrongs, it changes them. It produces in them the need for accountability. Such victims are told to "forgive" by letting go and that the forgiveness is for their own healing, even if the one causing harm has not shown sorrow or regret. Victims need and want accountability, not necessarily vengeance - but something more than letting the bad guy off the hook. There needs to be something to forgive ... because the harm and crimes of the Society continue unabated.

Accountability has been denied to former Jehovah's Witnesses - and this is perhaps one of the reasons we stick together. We have no doubt about the errors and serious harm caused by the Watchtower Society toward its members. The most notable in recent years has been the child abuse issue. Nonetheless, we all have need for accountability from the Watchtower Society. This need is frustrated, because the Society and its leaders are known, unlike most criminals, and yet accountability is elusive. Some have expressed this frustration in a desire for vengeance. But in truth, we really need for the Watchtower Society to awaken to its past and present errors, to apologize and seek forgiveness.

Here are the words from a parallel group:

"Obviously, there are a lot of doctrinal errors in this list. Equally obviously, we would not describe them as errors unless we understood why they were in error. We have worked hard to inform our own members about where we went wrong --- and we say "we" with all honesty, for all the current leaders of the church once believed and taught these erroneous doctrines. We have all criticized other Christians as false, deceived, children of the devil. ... We have much to apologize for. We are profoundly sorry that we verbally persecuted Christians and created dissention and disunity in the body of Christ. We seek forgiveness and reconciliation." WCG

Can you imagine the Watchtower Society leaders making such an apology? It is possible. I highly recommend that you read the full historical text of how the Worldwide Church of God made such a turn over a ten year period. Click here: http://www.wcg.org/lit/aboutus/history.htm It is a short read, and well worth your time.

You will be surprised at the similarities to the Watchtower. The WCG even had a great falling away over the failure of their own 1975 prophecy. In fact, the similarities are so close, that it almost makes me wonder if God used their conversion to help us have some hope. [PS: Neither the Watchtower nor the WCG used each others literature to form their own articles ... it was all truly a strange coincidence ... especially when the Plain Truth and the Watchtower has similar articles in the same month.]

If the Watchtower Society ever showed such contrite humility, I would cry my eyes out. No, I would not rejoin them. But, I would certainly resume fellowship with many friends who remain her members. It would be so completely refreshing and rewarding to see this turn of events for the Society rather than her collapse and further harm to her members.

How would such an event make you feel? Maybe it is something we can pray for - for accountability with healing, for apology and forgiveness. - Jim W.

• daystar
    daystar

It's almost unimaginable. Like you, I would still not rejoin, but I would rejoice!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Wonderful Essay Jim!

If you haven't seen the video about the WCG, you must see it. I'll have to look through my DVDs as I can't recall the name at the moment, but it is a VERY interesting story. That video actually gave me hope that someday, even if the WTS doesn't come around, then maybe my parents would.

Good to read some of your words again! You've been tremendously encouraging to me in some of my direst of times.

Andi

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

This is what the JW hoi polloi would do if the JW's tried to reform.

• Golf
    Golf

Did Armstrong ever had any former connections with the witnesses?

As to your question, how would such an event make me feel? I wouldn't be impressed.

Golf

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Nice post.

I did dream of something like that when I was heading out -- I guess many of us did.

Too much time has passed, friends lost of sight, people dead, so should it happen it would hardly change anything to me now. However it could make many lives a bit less of a hell.

I think you're right in pointing to a possible "way out" for the WT should they wake up from their defensive paralysis.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

How would such an event make you feel? Maybe it is something we can pray for - for accountability with healing, for apology and forgiveness. - Jim W.

When it comes down to it there is nothing that can undo the incredible damage they have done to so many people. A polite. "Oops. We're sorry" just won't cut it. People have died. Families have been torn apart. People have suffered decades of losses and abuses at the hands of the WTS.

I'm one who does not believe that we have to forgive those who have hurt us so badly before we can move on. We absolutely need to acknowledge the hurts and take back our power. By understanding the gravity of the hurts, we can find new ways to cope with the hurts within.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Jim, I agree with Lady Lee. What about "The Tort of Misrepresentation" they will soon be faced with? Will they accept accountability no matter what the cost ( not just financial ) to them?

Didn't they make you shut down your first site, "Amazing ", now you are Amazing 1914, what gives with that?

How is your heart, how you doing? Take good care of yourself Jim, WE have been following all your post's Justice stories etc. Waiting for your book.

Blueblades

• serendipity
    serendipity

I think the haughtiness and presumptiousness is too firmly entrenched in too many of the WT leaders. They believe their own press.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Blueblades

Didn't they make you shut down your first site, "Amazing ", now you are Amazing 1914, what gives with that?

I'm sure Jim will answer you but until then...A legal technicality made the "Amazing" ID on this website unusable for a period of time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit