Can a JW be disfellowshipped because of "Materialism"?

by JH 26 Replies latest jw friends

• KW13
    KW13

I know of people who had a really nice car and home and yet got a smaller car and a smaller house for 'fear of stumbling others'. I wonder if this was prompted by the elders...

Having lots i suppose it not being materialistic, if you have for example a successful business but other things come first then i don't suppose you would even get any attention.

Fortunately i am not a JW and i don't have to worry about how well i do, but i know for a fact the society encourage people to keep their eye simple and even young people are encouraged not to go for big-time education. Instead do ministry all day every day (do some live off benefits...so basically the taxpayer keeps the witnesses?)

• Think
    Think

Yep ! They are alcoholics !! They have to wash down the endless misery they have to go every day !

I know some of the characters! One elder I know drink EVERYDAY !!!

EVERYDAY !!!

So much for good example for the flock !!! The sheeps run away !!!

OOOOHHHH !!! How this can happen in holy org ???

They are realllyyyyy full of wiszzhdom and SPIRIT !!!

• slugga
    slugga

I knew a MS that owned a great big flash car with personalised number plates, he wore £500 suits and his children all had very nice brand new cars all given to them by him. Nothing was ever said about his materialism

• mark hughes
    mark hughes

A jw would never be df'd for materialism, after all that is what the whole religion is founded on. You only have to consider the limo's in NY. It's not just the elders who are materialitic but the whole governing body.

I don't know if it was just the congregation I was in but is there any elder who is not a pioneer that doesn't have a large house and company car?

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

A JW can be disfellowshipped for "conduct not becoming of a christain", so considering the Fact that you can't ask questions when the annoucement is made, I suppose it leaves room that the BOE can DF you whatever they like.

• Scully
    Scully

Technically, you could be DFd for being materialistic, but I would definitely challenge that based on the fact that the WTS itself has assets valued at more than $950 billion and does absolutely nothing to help its less fortunate members.

• Saoirse
    Saoirse
    You only have to consider the limo's in NY.

Do the governing body members ride around in limos? I'm shocked, I always heard how humble they were. I remember when Fred Franz graced our assembly hall with his magnificent presence and everyone was talking about how humble he was for arriving in a regular car. Of course, no one said anything about the 15 member posse he had traveling with him.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I can not believe that the dubs would ever disfel/ anyone for materialism because they are as an organisation steeped in materialistic culture. Also they get a lot of contributions from their very rich members. They must be treated well.

• mark hughes
    mark hughes

I can remember a pioneer, in the congregation I was in, moving back to his native Australia but stopping enroute for a trip to "the watchtower" in NY expressing his shock at the sight on limo's coming and going out of the "org's" compound.All those years of humble non-materialistic service and thats what the meagre contributions he was able to make were spent on.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Materialistic JWs?............thinking out loud.........

Perhaps they should all be disfellowshiped for having a hope of paradise earth, which from my Christian perspective is materialism couched in spiritualistic terms.

The Watchtower descriptions I have read - lovely homes, good food to eat etc etc all appeal as much to the physical, material senses that to anything non physical and truly spiritual.

As a believer, I am convinced that this life is the only physical life humans get. If there is any experience to follow, which I believe, albeit with an element of doubt, it will surely be purely non physical, consistent with the common understanding of scriptural teaching as well as science.

Surely, this is our 'one shot' at a physical existence. We should make the best of it, if not for ourselves, for our children and fellow humans, whether or not there is some form of experience to follow. Paradise earth is an unscriptural 'worldly' and materialistic modern, man-made theory.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit