Reasoning behind no "God Bless You!" when sneezing

by kristyann 14 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Spot on, Stilla!

That nursery rhyme harkens back to the time of the plague and describes it from a child's point of view.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

Hmm, I say "bless you" every time someone sneezes, and I say it to my JW boyfriend when he sneezes, and he never complains about it. Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure he says it to me when I sneeze, too. Then again, he's a JW in name only for most things anyway, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I don't see any problem with blessing someone, whether it's for a sneeze or anything else. If you're a Christian and the person you say "bless you" is a Christian, where's the harm?? And if you don't like it, say so and we'll be sure not to say it to you again.

-Becka :)

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

It's just manners and is expected in certain circumstances. Especially business. But it's changed from 'god bless you' to 'bless you'.

J

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's not just a christian tradition now, I also heard Jews and Moslems say that.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Many years ago it was believed that upon sneezing the Soul leaves the body - saying ''God Bless You'' prevents this happening.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit