Ray Franz Books Left People With No Where To Go?

by drahcir yarrum 16 Replies latest jw friends

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

Someone reported in another thread that Ray Franz has grown concerned that his books have not helped those who have read them because it left them with nowhere to go. I'm reminded of a phrase that I heard repeatedly during my 30 years as a Watchtower toady. . . "If this isn't the truth, then there is no truth". This serves nicely to frighten Witnesses into line, but it is certainly a meaningless statement to one who has discerned that the Watchtower teachings are not "truth". It isn't Ray Franz responsibility as a person to point us in any direction at all. His responsibility was to provide us with the facts he knew about a dishonest and corrupt religion. What most of us have discovered since leaving the organization is the freshness and vitality of finding our own way in the universe of ideas, philosophies and beliefs.

Many former Witnesses have become pastors in mainstream religions. Many have become agnostics and athiests. Some have probably become members of other cults. So be it. At least they have been freed from the Watchtower lie.

Some have stated that we shouldn't treat Ray Franz with gratitude because he was afterall, at one time, part of the group that had deceived us. Well, Mr. Franz may have been just as deceived as the rest of us were for a great part of his life. We could certainly take the same attitude toward someone who has served as an elder and participated in lording it over others or the disfellowshipping of others but has now left the organization. To do so would seem to me to be a huge waste of emotion and time.

I realize that many of you have a great deal to lose by letting current Witnesses know of your so-called apostasy. Because of that, many of you still attend meetings and put on the facade of being a JW. I understand that. Some of you who honestly loved your fellow Witnesses are hoping that somehow the organization will reform itself and become more mainstream. While I don't believe it will happen, I can understand your hopefulness. For those of you with one foot still in, I must tell you that the freedom awaiting you when you make a final break from the organization will more than offset any personal relationships that you may lose. You must do things in your way and time, but fear not.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

"If this isn't the Truth, then there is no truth."

Isn't that like saying that if Santa Claus isn't real, nothing is real?

If this isn't the truth, then SOMETHING ELSE must be the truth.

A good place to begin is with REALITY - the evidence of your senses.

I've heard of Witnesses who said that if the FDS said the sky is green, then it would be green. To me, that suggests that the person saying it is prepared to discount the evidence of his senses and also knows that it is possible that he'll be asked to testify to something that is self-evidently untrue, e.g., that the sky is green.

Yes, I think that Ray Franz has culpability, and yes, I think he may also be a victim. I do not think it is his responsibility to provide a substitute dream for those who have risen from their slumbers with a hazy memory of a nightmare.

Smell the coffee and get to work. If neccessary, keep telling yourself, "it was only a bad dream, it was only a bad dream."

• Mulan
    Mulan

I was the one who posted about Ray. Maybe I didn't phrase it right. His concern is that people who read his books are left spiritually bankrupt, and don't read the Bible anymore. Of course he knows there is no place to go to, but only to find some comfort from others like themselves. I have found that comfort on this board, and from those I've met like us.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• messenger
    messenger

For anyone to argue that Ray Franz book left people with nowhere to go would be the same logic as saying the civil war put black people out of work. It was about freedom. With that freedom comes the responsibility to continue the journey of life without a task master. While some may prefer to be slaves, the rest of us will take our chances using the mental facilities we have been endowed with to get through life.

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

I feel that Ray Franz's books have told us where to go, you just have to read them a little more closely and you will see (especially the Search book).

I'll defend your right to say it, but it doesn't mean I beleive it.

• Jim Lad
    Jim Lad

I feel great respect for the man and his utilizing his unique expierences to inform us of the reality of the org.

I, for myself, feel gratitude, and, dare I say, some affection for a great old man.

Thanks Ray!!!!!!

• JT
    JT

U GO BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i agree with 110%
    james

• anewperson
    anewperson

Franz did a good deed in exposing many wrongs about the Watchtower Society.

He did not form an alternative to it although his second book, In Search Of Christian Freedom, IF you read it closely including every single scripture provides a general outline for an acceptable alternative. Franz describes a fellowship based on love and simple basics instead of rigid doctrines.

I find that in the Free Christians movement where groups allow Christian freedom, and are structured as independent but cooperative, to work against anyone's efforts to organize them into a new cult organization: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jahchristian

Probably most do still teach resurrection on earth and to heaven, one of the reasons other groups oppose the fellowship though it reaches out to help all regardless of name groups if any at all.

Most of you commenting here are either naware of its existence, or think it is still just a handful of people.

The WTS will not reform. That became clear several years ago, but there is now a viable alternative.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I agree with proplog2 who suggests that Ray Franz is a closet atheist who hopes that his inner feelings about God are dead wrong.

• BoozeRunner
    BoozeRunner

Actually, I believe that RF has shown us that the best place to go is DEEP DOWN INSIDE ourselves. God(if you believe there is God) gave us the best gift possible-our uniqueness, our individuality.

As one poster here puts it, "Be yourself. You have to be someone, and everyone else is already taken."

Do we REALLY need an organization to run to in order to feel like we belong to society? I think not. The world is each of ours to explore, to dream about and to experience.

Athiest, agnostic, Christian, etc- our blood is red, our minds need stimlation, and our hearts need passions of all kinds.

Go out and enjoy life, without the encumberences of MOMMY or some OTHER org calling your shots for you!!!

just my opinion,
    Boozy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit