Symbolic generation. Does it extend batting time for WTBTS?

by Spectrum 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• THE SHOOTIST
    THE SHOOTIST

I don't think the generation changes really changes anything for the average witness. Most of the thinking witnesses have left or are currently sneaking out on the side-lines. Then there are the witnesses like my father. Having a 10th grade education and a blue-collar job meant he was pretty low on the social totem-pole. However, being a witness, the old congregation servant, elder, PO, and member of the regional building committee guarantees him being a somebody in his no-body world. He's a smart with his hands, hard working guy who has climbed as high as he can on the JW social ladder. He loves his life and his position. He likes giving his parts on the assemblies. He once told my daughter that this is the way he wants it even if it was wrong. Now in his mind's eye he is not wrong nor will he and his religion ever be. Anything you show him is a lie and Satan at work to disguise the truth. His religion is a simple answer for a simple man. He's the member of a special club that has an elite membership. He's got the inside scoop to all truth. If you don't see things his way you're being blinded by Satan. Armageddon has been right around the corner for the last 55 years and continues to be right around the corner. In another 20 years this religion will probably be around with people like my father at the helm declaring Armageddon and the end of the system and you better serve Jehovah. No matter what crap the governing body feeds them, they'll choke it down with a smile and swear their eating chocolate.

• TallTexan
    TallTexan
    Some people need a regimented structured life style and JWism offers that aplenty.

I can't agree more. I work with people like that (I'm sure we all do) who must be and like to be told what to do every step of the way. They lack independent thinking and don't want the pressure of having to make decisions and analyze information.

Some people want to find the 'easy' way to salvation. "Do this and you'll be saved" they are told, so they do 'this' - whatever it is - in hopes of garnering sure salvation. They don't want to study the Bible on their own, or interpret scriptures. They are mentally lazy to an extent - they can memorize the reasonings of others (FDS), but that does not make them mentally astute.

Thus when you present evidence to the contrary, they are afraid to listen, because then they will have to think and decide on their own.

I agree with a post a few days ago where someone stated that the JW's are being 'dumbed down' because the truly critical thinkers are jumping ship, leaving the 'repeaters' of information they truly don't understand.

• Cellist
    Cellist

TallTexan, you're right on. Occasionally they'll even admit that they don't like to think. An elder and his wife went and worked on an international building project for awhile. When they came back we went over for a visit and heard all their stories. One comment that stuck in my head was made by his wife. "It was so nice, I didn't even have to think." She really enjoyed being told what to do and when to do it.

Cellist

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    It is a way of life that 6 million people find attractive.

I don't completely agree.

The 6 million is the number of 'publishers.' How many people do you know who never went in service and still turned in a time sheet? I know several. I know even more who have no desire whatsoever to be at meetings or be a JW.... my kids come to mind.... RichieRich comes to mind . Then you have all those who were raised as JWs, whose entire family is in, and who feel they have no choice as young adults but to follow in their parents' footsteps in order to be accepted.

I do agree that there are many, many people who need the regimented lifestyle in order to feel good enough, or whatever. But I think there are an equal number who feel completely trapped, and don't have the skills to find their way out. The longer they stay in, the harder it is to leave. And imo, the worst part of the JWs is the fact that one can be so trapped. That's part of what makes it a cult.

GGG

• Trojan
    Trojan
    I do agree that there are many, many people who need the regimented lifestyle in order to feel good enough, or whatever. But I think there are an equal number who feel completely trapped, and don't have the skills to find their way out. The longer they stay in, the harder it is to leave. And imo, the worst part of the JWs is the fact that one can be so trapped. That's part of what makes it a cult.

GoingGoingGone, you are so right! Me (still in) and many others that surround me (I have mentioned this in another thread), but even Awake and Watchtower writers!!! One of them actually said to me (talking about this same issue):

"Look, it's like some people feel secure if they have bars on their windows. They couldn't sleep if they didn't have those mental bars. It keeps them secure...."

I thought to myself: What a crap! The same bars that keep others "secure", keep me trapped, imprisoned.....if you leave, you leave lots and lots of things behind....I thought only about this: I know that some JW tear appart the family pictures where they have an D'f person on it or even worser an apostate.......you wouldn't be on any family picture! Myself? Every single photo taken has something to do with this wonderful magic kingdom world.....It takes lot's of guts to pull the plug to it all.....or maybe, places like this!!!

Another brother said to me: "It's like a Poker game.....you started beting on the "end-is-near"-cards and put money on the table, as time goes on....you bet even more: family, house, job, carreer, education......YEARS OF YOUR LIFE, now there's so much on the table, that you would look like an idiot if you stand up and leave it "to the house"......you play the game...."

To me that isn't normal human behaviour. It's true what he said. Gamblers start sweating, know they've lost A LOT and their mind shuts up and they just continue the game....for no logical reason! Isn't it curious that there is a similarity between Gamblers and JW? They both loose family bonds, time, money, lifes...

Trojan.

• Kaput
    Kaput
  • willyloman
    willyloman

Note to Lady Lee: This thread is a candidate for the 'Best of' series...

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

GoingGoingGone,
    "I think there are an equal number who feel completely trapped, and don't have the skills to find their way out. The longer they stay in, the harder it is to leave."
    I didn't assume that because when I was with the Org I seem to remember that only the odd person left, and that was due to immorality, but many more joined. That was over 20 years ago when JW were 3 million. And myself, I just stopped going, i didn't have a feeling of social entrapment but I did feel guilt towards god and that I'd probably die at armagedon but even that sorry gory end didn't stop me from walking.
    If what you are saying is true then it's very sad. Millions of souls suffering unnecessarily.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

willowman,

"In that way, they are not unlike the Mormons whose leader had a timely "vision" to cease allowing men their multiple wives -- just as U.S. troops were marching on Utah to enforce laws against polygamy."

Is that true?!!! LOLOLOL

• Clam
    Clam

So we're projecting to the year 2206.

Possibly Islam has taken over the world and as a consequence banned all other religions, or . . . . . .

Lots of changes in the JW religion.

1) Synthetic blood is now used in all transfusions and the JW's happily accept it.

2) Human rights laws have banned disfellowshipping and shunning practices.

3) New light means JWs can celebrate Birthdays and Christmas

4) Making unsolicited calls on people's homes has proven so dangerous that it's been banned. Funds are raised through an annual membership fee and from internal literature and crucifix sales.

5) The Awake University (TM) opened in 2007 has closed due to Degrees in window and toilet cleaning losing popularity.

etc. etc.

New shite light could help the religion evolve quite nicely into a bog standard christian sect with the quirky yet harmless little ideas of Jesus not being God and calling the latter by his first name of Jehovah.

Can anyone else see this "new world"? The history of the WTS will show that early teachings concentrated on an imminent Armageddon. That's the tricky one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit