Where Do I Go Now?

by individual 28 Replies latest jw friends

• more2C
    more2C

I believe, that perhaps a better question might be how do we learn from our past, move ahead with the present, continue to grow and learn from mistakes.

One can not change what has happened in our environment, but one can hope to change our attitudes towards a positive more meaningful life. I firmly believe that you create your own happiness.

In the short time, that I have been reading and admiring all the opinions on this website, I feel that your support is also very important in continuing to move forward. It's also nice to know that one is not alone at what can be a confusing period in life.

Thanks for listening,

more2C

• Prisca
    Prisca

This is a great thread. I really appreciate the contributions of cyberguy, kes152, joelbear and francois - I totally agree with your statements.

It is a delimma of many JWs contemplating leaving to consider "where do I go?" thanks to the mis-quoting of the scripture where Peter answered: "Lord, WHOM shall we go away to? YOU have the word of everlasting life and we have come to know and believe that you are the Holy One of God."

If we feel the need to associate with others of similar beliefs, there are plenty of church groups to go to.

But the basis of our association is on Christ - and not on a man-made organisation.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Where do I go now?

I understand France is a very nice to go at this time of year. (Stay out of Paris unless you speak fluent French with no accent, though.) Also, The High Sierras in Northern California are a great place to "go." Norway has great mountains and fjords. There are a lot of places in this world to "go." There are also a lot of places to not "go." Religion is one of those places. Send Religion to Hell. You'll be better off and you'll eventually thank me for this advice.

If you like none of my advice so far, then just "go" to the library. It can't hurt.

Farkel

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Nice thread which was long forgot.

• Bella15
    Bella15

talking from a Christianity point of view ...you need to ask Who do I go to now...not where ...the answer is you go to JESUS. You need to recognize Jesus is the promised Messiah who having died and resurrected now He reigns. You need to ask him to come into you, your heart. But this is something you will have to discover by yourself. If you believe in God, he knows your heart and motives and will lead you, but you will have to experience life situations I think so when you recognize the Messiah no one can't tell you otherwise. People gets entangled in a lot of religion, some claim to find Jesus, but have they found the Messiah? this requires a deeper understanding of Jesus. God's plan for humanity. Overall, if you are sincere, trust that God will make sure you are born again to be able to enter into his kingdom. Christ's church is compared to a body of which all born again believers Are part of, at one point you will have to submit to that arrangement, no part of a body can exist separated from the body. But little by little you will find the way, once you give your life to Jesus, once you believe he is the Messiah oh you have eternal life and you will be a work in progress until our Lord comes back or we go to him if we died first.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I had many of the same feelings as you. As a JW, you thought you had all the answers to life's perplexing problems. Then you realize you don't, it's an uncomfortable feeling. I didn't know how to resolve it. Eventually, I became more comfortable with it. What is different is only you are not being deceived by an organization, nothing else has changed, your former belief was a fantasy.

Decide what is important to you and go from there. If you still believe in God and Jesus and want to be in a faith based community, there are many. There is no perfect church, but do they have to be? I attended the UCC, United Church of Christ for a while. They have no doctrine, they are just about faith, charitable works and support for each other. It is probably too liberal for most ex dubs, they are inclusive (OK with gays). There are others more like the JWs, but with out the harsh shunning policies.

But, do you really need to be in a church? Maybe some time to process all this would be good. Time and distance will give you clarity and help you decide the way forward.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

I am in the same postion as all those that commented in this thread 12 years ago. Mine is quite fresh.. just over 6 months that I began to see through the whole society sharade and now it has put me off religion altogether.

Just allowing time, distance and separation to do it's own healing work. Still trying to work out what I do and do not believe.

• SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe

Dis-member what you are doing is actually doing what John 17:3 says to do. Until now you have been told what you believe and that was the end of it. Don't fight or fret over the process, enjoy it.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

First you will enter the unavoidable void... then it becomes time to fill in the void... it is a shitty process which noone who has been a cult can totally avoid :( ... it is inevitable i'm a affraid.

On the plusside... you are not alone on this journey ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit