Question about baptism

by Shazard 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• Shazard
    Shazard

Hey people! I have read that baptism in JW is something very different than in Christianity. So question... is JW baptism somewhat legally binding. Can it be so? And what use of some papers which you sign that you deny some previous baptism (say as infant)... I don't want explanation of theological part, but other... worldly part of JW baptism.

• unique1
    unique1

Well, in order to get baptised you have to pass a series of questions by the elders. The questions come straight from a book so you can prepare the answer. When you are approved, you can get baptised at the next convention. There you are completely submersed in water by one or two brothers in the pool.

Here is the thing, by getting baptised, you show you are dedicating yourself to do Jehovah's will. Since JW's believe being one of them is Jehovah's will, you are pretty much saying you will be one of them forever publicly. I guess it is as binding as a verbal agreement in the law books. Most people who get baptised don't fully grasp the, I will be a Witness forever part of it, because it is merely understood, never verbalized. After baptism, you will be disfellowshipped or disassociated (excommunicated/shunned) if you want to leave, because technically you dedicated yourself to them, not Jehovah. It is quite misleading.

They do not baptise infants cause they can't answer the questions. It think the youngest one I have heard of being baptised is 6.

• Think
    Think

It is very misleading from the beginning. They want your commitment to become pedler of the magazines forever for free. This is similar to Employer asking you to work for him for FREE forever, and also give him money for the "Privilege" to work for him for FREE. They are very smart at convincing people that this is "The only true worship for God", and is reguired for salvation. You will be braiwashed into this kind cult belief prytty quickly. Before you commit, ask the millions of people why they left.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Two questions on baptism day which require a public affirmative answer:

The first question is:

"On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?"

The second is:

"Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?"

One might conclude that this not a basic dedication to God and baptism . It is a verbal contract to become one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Is it legally binding? Well, it means that they can treat you as a full member, impose their will on you and expell you if they see fit. But it is not legal in the terms of a binding legal contract on the part of the candidate. If you stop serving, or speak against them, the worst they can do is to tell the congregation to shun you.

BTW at least these two questions are now printed in the new "Organization Book" so the candidate gets to see them in advance

• Shazard
    Shazard

What about actually signing some papers in case if you were baptised in other church previously? What use of this "signing"? Or it is just part of the same mind game?
    p.s. Here I wanted to state, that do not worry I am not preparing for JW baptism. Was once allready baptised as infant, and that's enough for me!

• Trojan
    Trojan

What about actually signing some papers in case if you were baptised in other church previously?

In Germany you have to write a formal letter to your former church resigning and telling them that you don't wan't to be one of THEM because you're becoming a JW. The goverment keeps lists of catholics and evangelics and you have to go to the proper govermental agency to get your name off those lists. This something the elders require you to do, before they even consider the questions with you. Because in Germany you do have a legal binding to the two main churches (has tax law reasons, because every person pays somewhat close to 1.5% from ANY Income they have to the mayor churches. Government takes it off your wage, stock earnings, real-estate sales, etc. and passes it on to the corresponding church).

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Organized to do Jehover's Will

This book contains all of the information relevant to becoming a JW. The Baptism related information is in the Appendix

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    "Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?"

You can take it to the bank that this question was not posed, nor was any other question posed to Jesus nor to anyone thereafter who was baptised in the early Christian congregations. As a matter of fact, Jesus would not qualify for baptism in the Watchtower Society of Jehovah's Witnesses today.

• Trojan
    Trojan

As a matter of fact, Jesus would not qualify for baptism in the Watchtower Society of Jehovah's Witnesses today.

Interesting statement Frannie Banannie! Really. Could you precise a bit? I would love to use some of those arguments with my fellow elders (as some of them wan't to take the baptism procedures even further - like this: "Remember when you had unmoral sex? YOU HAVE TO remember and tell me every occurrence in your life where you had unnatural sex. I'm waiting for your answers." Elder A to Elder B: "I KNOW this guy is a pervert, I wan't to start shunning him before he even gets baptized OR start right after it." Me: "WHY then baptizing him in the first place? Leave this guy alone for gods sake")

So. I wait. Once you have time, would love to hear your input.

Trojan.

• meems101
    meems101

you don't sign anything. you answer the questions and then get baptized. at that time you are considered to be renouncing your previous baptism and all that went along with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit