ALL SCRIPTURE 'INSPIRED' BY GOD......

by Mary 30 Replies latest jw friends

• unique1
    unique1

Never thought of it that way before. It is surely a good point.

• Mary
    Mary
    Gumby* who plans on making a thread on that subject ( in bold type);so don't still my idea* I got dibbs on it.

Jes make sure you say it was inspired by Mary.

• gumby
    gumby

Jes make sure you say it was inspired by Mary.

Done!

Gumby

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Mary, you're right on the money.

I remember how outraged I was when I found out that it was a Catholic Church convocation that decided what would be in the Bible and what would be left out. And when I found out how close Revelation came to being excluded--well, knock me over with a feather!

That's why so many JWs are "self-educated" scriptural authorities (meaning they use only WT sources, which never look at the context/history of religion, and lexicons, which don't fully provide the flavor of a language). If they actually learned about this stuff, their little heads would explode.

And frankly, I think the whole world would be a lot better off if they'd just left Revelation out of it!

Jankyn

• proplog2
    proplog2

There are those on this forum that know more about greek etc. but I remember doing some research and there are some who believe that scripture can be translated:

"All scripture (THAT) is inspired is beneficial..."

• IT Support
    IT Support

Mary,

In 2 Tim 3:16, isn't the Greek for 'inspired' theopneustos, literally 'god breathed'? It appears the writer was intending to convey the idea that the Scriptures were 'influenced or guided by divine or supernatural inspiration' (the first of your definitions).

Of course, that doesn't mean the Scriptures really were inspired by god, merely that the writer claimed they were! Also, when he wrote of "All Scripture," he would be referring to what we now call the Old Testament ('Hebrew Scriptures' in Watchtower-speak!).

So, is there any evidence the Old Testament was inspired by god? Not if you believe the evidence in "Who Wrote the Bible?" by Richard E. Friedman, which clearly illustrates from the Old Testament where original texts were 'cut and pasted' to suit the, usually political, aims of the original authors.

No divine inspiration there, then, and obviously none in the book of 2 Timothy!

• sir82
    sir82
    Why didn't Jehovah give the job (forming the bible) to his Faithfull and Discreet Slave Class since Jesus entrusted ALL his belongings to THEM?

He did, didn't he?

Hence, the "New World Translation", complete with hundreds of "corrections" to the errors the original writers included.

E.g., inserting "Jehovah" into the NT text, "thru Christ all [other] things were created...", etc. etc.

• Mary
    Mary
    In 2 Tim 3:16, isn't the Greek for 'inspired' theopneustos, literally 'god breathed'? It appears the writer was intending to convey the idea that the Scriptures were 'influenced or guided by divine or supernatural inspiration' (the first of your definitions).

IT, I believe you're right. And that's my point I guess. I think this scripture in 2 Timothy is correct in the fact that the writers most likely did have God in mind and they certainly were "influenced" by their religious beliefs, but that doesn't mean that God somehow translated into the minds of men what he wanted them to write down.

In the Old Testament, Jehovah is quite often depicted as being a murderous, insanely jealous God who strikes someone dead if he happens to be in a bad mood that day. Who was that guy that God (supposedly) killed because he inadvertently touched the Ark of the Covenant? Yet He lets King David live even though he was guilty of conspiracy, murder, adultery and tampering with evidence?

I think much of what's written in the bible probably did happen, but it happened from man's point of view. That guy who died touching the Ark of the Covenant? Maybe he tried to prevent it from falling and maybe the Ark fell on him in the process and killed him. From an Israelite point of view, they probably would have thought "God killed him for touching the Ark."

How does Jehovah go from being a vengeful, warrior in the OT, to being a far more benevolant God in the NT?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

good point mary. liked that.

for me, there is a difference between "inspired by" and "inspired of". not sure what the greek would actually translate to.

cheers,

ts

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The Nestorian canon to this day still leaves out the general epistles (i.e. James, 1 Peter, 2 Peter, Jude, etc.). Other canons (for the Slavonic churches, the Armenian churches, the Ethiopic churches) accept books not found in the Catholic canon, such as 1 Enoch, Jubilees, 4 Ezra, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit