depression

by toddy 21 Replies latest jw friends

• toddy
    toddy

Is it true statistically,j.w's suffer from depression far more than the rest of us?

• peterstride
    peterstride

Good luck finding statistics on depression, since the WTS would never admit to it being a problem in their congregations...."Jehovah's people are supposed to be happy people!", is their standard reply.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if JWs suffer from depression more than "wordly" people. With all the pressures that they have, all the things that they are supposed to do, the very little free personal time that they have...and from my own exprerience as well as people that I knew....I would have to say YES...JWs suffer from depression a LOT more than the average human.

Peter Stride
    Toronto, Canada

• toddy
    toddy

Strange because most of the j.w's i know allways seem unhappy with one problem or another,yet looking at all the publications they have all the pictures show people smiling and happy without a care in the world!

• peterstride
    peterstride

Depression is an unfortunate reality that the WTS doesn't want to admit to. Sure, they print the odd token article on depression, usually talking about how "wordly" people are depressed, but then try to paint a cheerfull picture of how most JWs are always happy. What a bunch of bull!

Peter

• ChuckD
    ChuckD

I think it gets back to that oft-discussed topic, which is whether or not people who are already predisposed to depression and other mental illnesses are more likely to be recruited by the witnesses in the first place.

If there are any reliable statistics about depression among witnesses, I would find it interesting to see how these numbers break down between those who were "born into" the organization, and those who were brought in as adults.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Toddy,

I think that JW's do suffer from depression more than is normal.

I know that I did. Looking back now I can see that my depression was caused by guilt feelings, the old not doing enough syndrome. Doubts and guilt nibbling away at a persons psyche eventually exhaust the emotional nervous system, resulting in depression.

Lots of sex and soccer seem to have a palliative effect.

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• Francois
    Francois

The WTBTS sets unreasonably high expectations of happiness and freedom from depression and anxiety. Ironically, these unreasonably high expectations can be a cause of depression and anxiety. The mechanism seems to go something like this: "We are imperfect and likely getting more imperfect every day, however as a JW I'm supposed to be happy. JWs are a happy people. We don't get depressed, nor anxious. There must be something wrong with me. It's my fault." And so on. This negative self-talk is a vicious cycle, spurred on and perpetuated by the society in its constant barrage of publications. And so a spiral downward into first anxiety and then depression is common among Jehovah's Witnesses.

I think Penton's work has some statistics about this phenomana.

Francois

NOTE TO GOVERNING BODY: You've been challenged to a debate, boys. Dont you have ANY balls?

• toddy
    toddy

i did read once that they target people who are depressed or have an addiction i.e the vulnerable.

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

toddy - I would have to agree with your last comment, I noticed that a lot of people in my old congregation had suffered with depression at some time, many were even on medication. What ever happened to relying on Jehovah?! The ones in the congregation that were studying at the time I left all had problems of one kind or another, one was going through a divorce and was struggling, one was mentally ill, another was depressed because of family problems, yet another was a former paedophile, yes, honestly.

The hope and promises of the religion appeal to those who have not much hope anywhere else. It fills them with false expectations and puts dreams in their heads that cannot possibly come true. I know from experience that when JWs are out on the ministry and a depressed or needy person opens the door then they see it as a ripe opportunity to reel them in to their way of thinking. They see their vulnerabilities and play on them, it may come across as sincerity and a caring attitude but all that JW wants is a bible study, a chance to convert someone. Unfortunately if that person does become a member of the organisation he is merely swapping one set of problems for another, like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. And his initial problems may still remain.

• pandora
    pandora

I don't think they target depressed or addicted people. Really, there is no way to target such people. Without standing outside the mental health clinic. ( Now THERE'S a thought ) I don't think they do it consciously, at least.
    But it is the depressed ones searching for happiness, anywhere, who are the easiest to bring in. They are the ones who feel that they have not done well with their life and therefore it is easy to sit back and let someone else take over for them. Some actually welcome the rules. They don't have to think anymore. Just follow the rules and you will be happy.
    It never works out that way. In fact, the depression is only prolonged and deepened because they can't/won't get the help they need.
    It's a sad circle.

Just my thoughts.

-P-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit