• BlessedStar
    BlessedStar

Blessed Star

• BlessedStar
    BlessedStar

The second image, is the first one turned upside down

• BlessedStar
    BlessedStar

Well... at least never before on your monitor. This illusion has been voted the greatest optical illusion in the poll.

optical illusions 10Stare at the white dot in the centre of the red circle. The longer - the better (two minutes and you'll get a much stronger effect). Always try to keep focused on the white dot. It'll be worth it.
    Soon after staring, you'll start to see a thin rim of light around the edge. Don't stop staring though yet! Wait another minute - keeping your head perfectly still.
    Once you've done this, slowly - move your head backwards - making sure to keep your eyes focused on the dot at all times. The circle's rim will glow brilliantly with true Cyan! Keep on moving your head slowly backwards, and it'll glow very hot!...
    The blue/cyan colour chart to the right isn't part of the illusion, but there to demonstrate that the ultra cyan you have just seen is not in the monitor's color palette! It should be, but isn't.
    red circle. The longer - the better (two minutes and you'll get a much stronger effect). Always try to keep focused on the white dot. It'll be worth it.
    Soon after staring, you'll start to see a thin rim of light around the edge. Don't stop staring though yet! Wait another minute - keeping your head perfectly still.
    Once you've done this, slowly - move your head backwards - making sure to keep your eyes

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The first one is especially hard for me because of my synesthesia, so I can get confused by two kinds of colors for each word (i.e. in the first line YELLOW is colored green but synesthetically yellow, BLUE is colored red and synesthetically red, ORANGE is colored blue and synesthetically white), in addition to the word itself. On the other hand, doing the opposite (reading the colored words) is also supposed to be hard for people, because the colors can trip you up in reading the color names (this is the Stroop Effect). For most people, they read this list at a slower pace than if they were reading black text. But here, my synesthesia is an advantage, the two colors would then cancel each other out to some extent, and I can read the list at a FASTER pace than most people can. I know this because I tested myself with a stopwatch at the Exploratorium, and consistently performed better than the average person.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Ow! Ow! My brain hurts!

What's that syn... stuff you're talking about, Leo?

I can only read those colored words with great effort, and very slowly.

Dave

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

http://web.mit.edu/synesthesia/www/perspectives.html

Hey, here's my own alphabet to compare:

Everyone has their own unique alphabet... (and number colors too, of course)

Although interestingly, a majority of synesthetes perceive the letter "o" as white....

• lucifer
    lucifer

I can read the colored words fine, probably because I am partially color blind, but the other way around I can barely unless I do it very slow

• jt stumbler
  • jt stumbler
  • jt stumbler

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit