Speaking of Texas.....

by lonelysheep 21 Replies latest jw friends

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

There's a (small) possiblity that later this year, the Dallas/Fort Worth area will have another JWD member to call the place home.

So, can anyone please tell me where/where NOT to go?

I'm browsing places in Tarrant County, Grapevine, & Fort Worth. The houses in Fort Worth have me floored! Maybe due to the fact that they cost about $500K more in the northeast US. I'm also looking into the school systems.

Thanks for your input!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Hot Damn!

'postate central may be getting even bigger!

It really comes down to how much you are willing to pay for a house or rent. You can get a nice apartment (somewhere you will not be worried about petty crime and vandalism) for about $700 a month and if you want something really nice it will be about $1000 or more.

The more "nice" areas are the Las Colinas and Vally Ranch areas in the city of Irving (That's where I live), also Addison, Plano, Richardson and Arlington. Those are the areas I can think of off the top of my head. There are plenty of other great areas.

If you make it down for the May 6th Aposta-Crawfest you can take some time to drive around and see the different areas.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I have a theory that much of Texas' aversion to the WTS is an ingrained distrust of anything from a particular (unnamed) region of the country. No data to support this yet, so maybe I shouldn't call it a theory.

AuldSoul

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

Did you say $500K more? Good grief, what size house are you looking at??

As for school systems, Coppell ISD and Grapevine-Colleyville ISD are a couple of the best in the area. You might want to also consider your commute to work as a factor for your location. Irving (Valley Ranch) is very nice and pretty centrally located as is Arlington. HEB (Hurst-Euless-Bedford) ISD is quite good. Here again, those three cities are known as the "mid-cities" area since they are between Dallas and Fort Worth.

Do come to the 'fest and check out for yourself the areas.

Glad you'll be joining us!!

Lisa

• daystar
    daystar

The cost of living down here is much less than it is on the coasts, true.

My recommendation, having lived here my entire life, is to look at the mid-cities (meaning the little cities in between Dallas and Ft. Worth) or north of Dallas.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I live in Richardson, just north of Dallas. It's the city where my husband grew up and he knew he wanted to move back when he got married. It's not like the Plano/Frisco/Allen area. It's older, more trees, established families and neighborhoods. Neil and I didn't want to live in a city where it was JUST all new families in neighborhoods with the Q-Tip trees, thus our choice for Richardson. It's also just minutes into Dallas and the Dart Rail runs straight through Richardson. If you need a realtor, a friend of mine was our realtor. She was fabulous! Check her out at www.lindaboxtaylor.com. I'm sure she'd take great care of you! PM me if you want to talk more!

Andi

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    The more "nice" areas are the Las Colinas and Vally Ranch areas in the city of Irving (That's where I live),

Thank you! I do hope to make it down for the fest and do plenty of researching.

As for school systems, Coppell ISD and Grapevine-Colleyville ISD are a couple of the best in the area

That is good to know. I will be looking into the midcities for sure.

Andi, thanks for your friend's name.

I will know for sure in the next few weeks.

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

I'm so glad we could help. It's going to be great to meet you.

Lisa

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

Yeah, the housing prices on the east and west coasts are so artificially inflated it's rediculous. Enjoy 'cheap' housing in Texas while it lasts. It's funny watching people come here from the 'coasts' and marvel at the low cost of housing. I know someone who just paid $375,000 for a 1300 sq ft dump in N. Hollywood - what a joke.

• TallTexan
    TallTexan
    I have a theory that much of Texas' aversion to the WTS is an ingrained distrust of anything from a particular (unnamed) region of the country. No data to support this yet, so maybe I shouldn't call it a theory.

AuldSoul......no, we just know BS when we smell it.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit