disassociation and family

by davidsf 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• davidsf
    davidsf

It's been a while since I posted and asked this question so I wanted to ask again in case there's been any "new light" on the matter. I DA'ed myself a year ago. If I invite JW family members over for dinner can they attend? Can JW family members invite me over for dinner? What's the Society's latest teaching on the matter?

thanks, David

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

if they are trying to be good JW's they wouldn't come, but hey - I say put the invite out there and let them be the ones that have the ball in their court.....ya never know what may come of it....

good luck - freedomlover

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

According to Organized to Do Jehovah's Will (2005) disassociated ones are to be viewed and treated no differently than disfellowshipped ones. I am in the same predicament.

The publications can be downloaded here: Organized to Do Jehovah's Will

I hope the publication helps you in some way.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul (of the "My Family Obeys GB As Ruler Rather Than God" class)

2 Timothy 3:3 — ...having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness...
  • davidsf
    davidsf

I browsed that book, thanks for the link, but I couldn't find any info on how JWs are to treat disassociated family members. Can you refer me to a page#?

thanks, David

• Forscher
    Forscher

I don't know the page. But I thought I'd mention that since the book came out, they even announce it differently. I think the announcement is "so anso is no longer one of Jehovahs Witnesses." That way, the R&F don't know which it is DF, or DA. Both are treated the same. You should find the details in whatever chapter deals with the subject of discipline within the Borg. The index should get you there.
    Forscher

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Sure. Page 155 states:

However, the person who disassociates himself by repudiating the faith and deliberately abandoning Jehovah’s worship is viewed in the same way as one who is disfellowshipped.

and page 154 states:

ANNOUNCEMENT OF DISFELLOWSHIPPINGWhen it is necessary to disfellowship an unrepentant wrongdoer from the congregation, a brief announcement is made, simply stating: "[Name of person] is no longer one of Jehovah’s Witnesses." There is no need to elaborate. This will alert faithful members of the congregation to stop associating with that person. (1 Cor. 5:11) The presiding overseer should approve this announcement.

On the ground of that word "faithful," anyone who has contact with a disfellowshipped or disassociated person can be judged by the elders to determine if the contact was necessary. If a person "unrepentantly" has unecessary contact with a disfellowshipped or disassociated family member (in the judgment of a Judicial Committee) that person may be disfellowhipped...I mean disfellowshipped.

I would still try with your family. You have nothing to lose. Lots of families break that rule all the time, my family just happen to be uber-Witnesses. Lucky me, eh?

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Family are to treat you as the rest of the congregation do. It is only for 'necessary family situations' that they are to associate with you, such as at a funeral.

Many JW's associate with d/f and d/a friends and family. I always knew d/fing was an evil practice and even when in bethel I used to keep in touch by phone with all my d/f friends.

How families apply the rules vary. Some will associate with family members, some will not. The main thing is to be discreet so no one finds out. It is worth testing your own family out by inviting them.

One of my family members said they would shun me after i got d/f. I emailed to say that I was sad that i would not see her child grow, and that she would not see my baby when it is born. Boy did she change her tune. She rang my wife saying she will allow me to see her child from time to time.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Yes, I think you should put the invitation out there. Be prepared for some hurt though, they may not come, but some might surprise you.

BB

• davidsf
    davidsf

OK, what about this scenario. Suppose another relative invites me (a DA'ed JW) and my JW family. Can they attend?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit