A quote that makes some sense

by Iforget 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Iforget
    Iforget

I so rarely post but read this forum every day. I was reading my latest copy of Playboy. That is what I subscribed to after my Watchtower and Awake ran out

There is a quote here that just really summed up how I feel and how I am sure a lot of you here feel about being raised JW. It is from novelist Armistead Maupin. He was talking about his being gay and hiding it BUT the remainder of the quote is significant to how I feel:

"My only regret about being gay is that I repressed it so long. (here is the part that applies) I surrendered my youth to the people I feared when I could have been out there loving someone. Don't make that mistake yourself. Life's too damn short."

We surrendered our youth out of fear. Just something I wanted to share with you all.

Hope all are doing well!

• IronClaw
    IronClaw
    I surrendered my youth to the people I feared when I could have been out there loving someone. Don't make that mistake yourself. Life's too damn short."

That says it all. Now 46, I can agree that my youth was wasted in the Borg.

• greendawn
    greendawn

How exactly did they waste your youth? perhaps they persuaded you not to go to university, or have a proper social life, or get some financial security?

• Mr.Beaker
    Mr.Beaker

I developed a 'live for now' attitude, would never save money because i wouldnt need it after armageddon so spent money that i had saved for deposits on a house, on going backpacking through Europe!

My dad would never let me play sport because it was normally on a saturday morning so i would have to go witnessing.

I never went to Uni because armageddon was just about here and i wouldnt get the chance to finish my degree let alone work in my chosen field.

As a teenager i was always feeling guilty, repressed or hypocritical, so yeah i think my teenage years were wasted to a point. I guess the thing is though, my parents thought they were doing 100% the right thing, so i could never and will never blame them for bringing me up as a witness. Im sure making up for lost time now though!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit