I'm sure I already know the answer, but...

by puppylove 12 Replies latest jw friends

• puppylove
    puppylove

Why is it that most r&f witness can take anything the GB dishes out and swallow it whole?

My MIL takes everything she reads in the WT and calls it "meat in due season". I guess this week's WT is about patience. "Just wonderful direction from Jehovah, we shouldn't be wondering about when the end will come, we should just WAIT ON JEHOVAH".

Jeez, wait on him to do what, exactly?

I'd like to hit some people on the head sometimes.

Edited by - puppylove on 10 October 2000 20:26:43

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

This is something that bothers me too. One would think at some point the flaws are so obvious that thinking persons within would spot them for sure.

The problem is that you are so "sure" the "truth" is true, and so afraid of what would be if it were not, that you don't consider that possibility, and you makeit work.

The comments you make about "patience" are interesting too. Strangely the end always seems "right around the corner", always 3-5 years away. Close enough to be able to stick it out, but far enough away to not be overly suspicious of the time frames.

The thing is with being a Witness, you never look behind to see where the years have gone and just how many critical teachings have changed. The sad thing is, you never look far enough ahead either to make sensible choices in life to be able to cope if the "end" doesn't come within that 3-5 years.

Path

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

The thing I find amazing is those witnesses who learn of new light (such as the 1914 generation) and swear that the Society NEVER said anything about the Armageddon coming before the end of the century. They will declare that what is now believed has always been the teaching in the past.

Sometimes it just floors you.

• AhHah
    AhHah

I have since realized that there is denial going on at many levels. That is what is so scary about cults -- they actually take people out of reality and create a different reality for them. Once you are in denial, it becomes much easier to keep denying everything necessary to maintain the alternate reality. I believe that this causes members' lives to become unbalanced in many ways.

One might argue that all religion is basically denial -- unless, of course, one has faith -- then you are just smarter than everyone else, and you are not really going to die after all.

Just think, if no one ever died, would there be any religions in the world? Seriously.

There sure would be a lot of people. The whole planet would look like Tokyo, I guess. But would there be any religions?

Edited by - AhHah on 11 October 2000 1:14:22

Edited by - AhHah on 11 October 2000 1:19:32

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

At first i thought that made sense, but on further reflection, i think there would always be religion, as long as there are people who don't want to think for themselves.

Path

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

I had a little fun this past Sunday with that same WT article. (I’m not serving anymore so I have more time to answer) The question was “What wrong attitude did some of Jesus’ followers betray?” Of course, we know what they were fishing for. I raised my hand and answered: “ What Jesus said to them was really not shocking at all inasmuch as he was speaking metaphorically, symbolically. It’s not that he was reversing himself on something he said previously or trying to correct some past mistake of his, he was just using symbols to demonstrate a point. They could have simply asked him what he meant and he would have told them.” There are only perhaps two people there that may have understood what I was saying. The others simply nodded their heads and smiled.
    The point is as AhHah posted: “…-- they actually take people out of reality and create a different reality for them.” Once out of reality and into the fantasy world, everything they hear is ‘colored’. Words have been assigned different meanings. Take these statements from the ‘knowledge’ book:
    “Being “no part of the world” also means breaking off all association with “Babylon the Great,” the world empire of false religion” Why not just say you cannot associate with any religion except us? Because that is exactly what is being said.
    Look now at the defintion of Babylon the Great: ““Babylon the Great” embraces all religions whose doctrines and practices are out of harmony with the knowledge of God.” What does that mean? How many religions are part of this Babylon the Great? According to WTS teachings, all religions except JWs are. Why not just be straightforward and say it?
    Here’s another one: “No faithful worshiper of Jehovah will engage in interfaith activities by sharing in worship with different religions or by having spiritual fellowship with any part of Babylon the Great.” – Why use the term “different religions” instead of saying: “you cannot have anything to do with any religion once you are part of us.” Notice too the phraseology” No faithful worshipper of Jehovah will…” Instead of “You will not be allowed to…”
    How about this one: “Consequently, many new Bible students send a letter of resignation to the religious organization to which they belong.” Le’ts change that to what is really being said in disguise: “You (yeah, you there holding the book!) will be told that you are to send a letter to your church demanding that you be removed from their rolls.”
    All of these statements are from one paragraph of the ‘knowledge’ book. The programming is very subtle just as are the ‘lessons’ in the WT.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• AhHah
    AhHah

I guess this shows just how powerful (or actually, weak) is the human need to believe, no matter how poorly supported the faith is. There have always been those who will gladly exploit that weakness and there always will be. I keep wondering, however, why so many will allow the price they pay to believe beyond belief to keep going up wihtout questioning. When they have actually bought into believing that God is speaking through their religious leaders that seems to be what suspends disbelief. One would think that God would want to prevent such misrepresentation and exploitation. I am beginnig to wonder if Puppylove may be right after all ... god gone.

Edited by - AhHah on 11 October 2000 13:8:36

• Tigger
    Tigger

AhHah,
    Your comment

I guess this shows just how powerful (or actually, weak) is the human need to believe, no matter how poorly supported the faith is. There have always been those who will gladly exploit that weakness and there always will be. I keep wondering, however, why so many will allow the price they pay to believe beyond belief to keep going up wihtout questioning.

made me think about a book I read quite a while ago. 'The Source' by James Michener. Its a hell of a read (about 1000 pages in small print), but its really interesting stuff.

• Theophilus
    Theophilus

Hi again,

I know I'm new, but if I may...
    AhHah's comments about believing that God is speaking through religeous leaders and allowing that to affect ones own capacity for reason is exactly the problem.
    God gave us the ability to reason for a purpose... to use it. It is easier, of course, to simply sit and listen and absorb what you are told rather than get up off your butt and research for yourself.
    To add to the second part "One would think that God would want to prevent such misrepresentation and exploitation..." He does. and he is. Our capacity for reason and our conscience are part of his efforts to that end. There's no free will if every time someone twisted scripture an Angel showed up and struck him dead.

• AhHah
    AhHah

Just to clarify -- I do not believe that God speaks through religious leaders. I don't believe that organized religion is necessary, even though spiritual sharing (such as this) is very valuable. I do wonder why God allows so much religious confusion and seeming misrepresentation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit