Are they more "wicked" or "sick?"

by Confession 6 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Confession
    Confession

I think, after we have "awakened" from our Watchtower coma, we come to one of two conclusions. Either we...

A) Recognize that the Watchtower Society is not what it claims to be.

or B) Recognize the Watchtower Society is not what it claims to be, and believe those in charge to be thorough charlatans.

Okay, I suppose there can be more than two conclusions. Probably a few fall somewhere in between A and B. There are a lot of things we can prove.

-That Jerusalem was not destroyed in 607 BCE, and therefore the entire basis of WTS authority is unfounded.

-That the WTS did indeed claim to be acting as God's prophet, and in so doing made an alarming number of end-time date prophecies that never came to pass.

-That the organization, which claims to be led by Almighty God, has changed "present truth" teachings and then changed them back, and has taught a great number of horribly incorrect things as "God's truth."

I'm sure we could all add to this list. But one thing I don't think we can "prove" in the same way is that every one (or even a majority) of those in charge at the WTS is intentionally doing things he believes are wrong.

No, I do not believe that they are "motivated solely by revenue and statistics" as a recent contributor claims. I don't question that some give undue attention to this--to the point of absurdity. But I think that (at least) the majority have persuaded themselves to believe they are, in fact, part of the "sole channel of communication" from God, and what they do they do for the good of His organization. This acceptance happened so long ago and they are so bogged down by the trees that they simply cannot see that forest.

I am not suggesting that their sincere belief in the organization excuses them from great blame. Nor am I sugesting that there aren't, in fact, profoundly hypocritical men there who are motivated by things other than doing God's will. I'm only saying I think, for most, it's less a wickedness, and more a sickness.

Their teaching about the "light" getting brighter and brighter somehow salves their consciences when they, in the privacy of their hearts, feel pangs of guilt. Around them they see a huge collection of people, many bubbling over to share their confidence in "The Truth." They have become, as Ray Franz wrote, "captives of a concept."

What do you think?

• rebel8
    rebel8

The only thing I try to get ppl to acknowledge is there is sufficient proof that they are not God's one and only true organization on earth. That is the important thing--it prevents ppl from remaining in (or getting in) its clutches. The distinction btwn sick and wicked is a personal choice.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

personally, i think they are more sick the wicked. But that can maybe be said for a lot of criminals too.

I think that they believe their own lies. People tend to forget and put away in a dark corner all information that did not suit them. They know of course some things are wrong, but I think they still believe that are the only ones that god has choosen to do it's will. They therefor protect the sheep by not telling the wrong things. I think that they actually think that this is a good thing, that people are better of this way.

Is it important? No. People should be reponsible for what they do, not the other way around, altough the answer to the why question can be a measurement of how serious it is.
    But we are not there to punish them. We are here to free ourselves and other people from their lies or untruths.

probably a lot of religious leaders of all extremities feel that they are right. So, it does not change anything.

• chrissy
    chrissy

maybe they are sick, maybe they are wicked. and yeah, maybe they do believe their own lies. maybe THEY are the smurfs.

it doesnt matter much...

when a friend with doubts made it clear she would hear things out but feared becoming one of "those bitter apostates,"

it sort of forced me into recognizing the hard work of groups like the silentlambs, reminding her and myself at the same time, that the witnesses harbor criminals. knowingly.

that makes them wicked and sick but mostly its ignorance on a grand scale.

knowledge is their enemy. the most profound yet simple thing i could share with her.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Sick - one only has to examine their actions and doctrines to see that all is not well in the Watchtower kingdom.

Wicked - yes, according to Jesus' standards.

• Confession
    Confession
    knowledge is their enemy. the most profound yet simple thing i could share with her.

I liked that, Chrissy. "Knowledge is their enemy."

Yeah, Honesty... I guess it has to be considered "wickedness." I think I make a distinction though betweeen those who are thoroughly convinced what they do is necessary to doing God's will--and those who are not so convinced, but continue to force the rank and file to do as they say under strong threats they enforce.

Both wicked. One, to me, more wicked than the other.

The difference is that, with the first group, I'd welcome them with open arms once they figure out the real truth. The others? They do what they do regardless of any concept of "truth." They are knowingly leading others about as slaves. They are not welcome in my home.

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

"wickedness" and "sickness" is a personal judgement of someones actions. Being that ours (judgement) is a bad thing to do according to Jesus, I would stick with the "sickness" and let Him say who is "wicked".

They were probably trying to accomplish what thye thought Jehovah wanted. They never had the balls to Question Him, or even disagree with Him. They just obeyed. like "robots" or "slaves" (trying to make more "slaves" for their Master?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit