Why do ex-JWs try so hard to uncover WTS dirt?

by Lady Lee 38 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• willowmoon
    willowmoon
    I think it is because since we stopped going to meetings and out in service we have all this free time on our hands.

....... which could be why they don't want you to have free time on your hands!!! willow

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Scully

As a JW, how many of us believed that the Governing Body meetings were these prayerful sessions that were deeply steeped in poring over the Bible and the sole motivation was to do what was in the best interests of Jehovah's Peopleā„¢? That these mortal men were the epitome of Christian behaviour and examples in loving kindness and righteousness that deserved to be emulated?

Reading In search of Christian Freedom blew that one out of the water for me. Seeing them as they really are really helped me to realize they were not the inspired men they told us they were. seesthesky If you go into the Best of section of the board and look under WTS finances you should find all the evidence you need and then some.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I think for me for a while it was that nagging "what if they are right" "what if armaggeddon does come"

Constantly learning "new dirt" helped me to put those fears to the back of my mind 'til they finally went away.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Prophecor

Beth Sarim is a peice of WT history that stupifies me to this day. How they could use that property for the hoped for resurection of the prophets of old. I was astonished. My faith began to materialize massive cracks in it.

The bomb shelters at Beth Shan is what is getting me now. But like you the deeds for the properties really opened my eyes. I read this stuff and wonder what kinds of fools are these people? Conniving, scheming, lying, manipulative frauds. And the hurt is they used the trust and faith of people to do this and live opulent lives, all the while telling people to live humble lives making themselves sick to support these men.

I still haven't totally gotten over the fear. I wonder, still, sometimes whether GOD'S got it out for me.

Once I realized it was all a con job, the fear went away. As long as we see these men as appointed by God then we wind up believing the crap they spew out to control people. Once the power is gone the fear of any of their pronouncements should fade and eventually disappear.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Those that came before me, that started digging for that dirt, are those that have help pave a smoother road for us new ones.

This is big for me. All the work that AlanF, LadyLee, and so many, many others have put into exposing the Watchtower puts a challenge out to the rest of us. The torch may not be passed, exactly, but there's the feeling of a need to light my own off the fire of their's.

A just-coming-out JW mentioned to me in a pm, "I still hear a nagging in my head, 'What if it's really the truth?'" Those sorts of feelings leave a person uncomfortable, unhappy. The truth needs to be dug up and displayed so people don't have to live with this uncertainty.

As LadyLee pointed out to seethesky, the evidence is there. If they won't look -- or won't "see" -- that's their call. But I feel an obligation to make sure the evidence is there to be seen.

Dave

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

jillbedford

There is a true relief in telling the truth, admitting you did wrong, asking for forgiveness and being free to move forward. Yes, there are still reprocussions, but it opens the door.

A lesson the WTS has yet to learn. But instead of really telling the truth they cover up and when they can't do that they place the blame on the ones they did the con on.

But you know I think they have dug themselves too deep to start coming clean at this point.

Confession

It depends on what you mean by "dirt," Lady. Does dirt mean "factual evidence that the Watchtower Society is not what it claims to be?"
    I can only answer your question when "dirt" holds the first definition. My family has been involved with the JWs since the early 40s. I didn't figure out the real truth until I was 38 years old--just a little over a year ago. Coming to the conclusions I have was not easy, and just as my indoctrination took a long time, I imagine that my "decryption" will too.
    It has taken a good deal of study, and as I continue to learn more, I am emboldened that my decision to leave was the correct one--and I'm accumulating information that I may be able to use in the future when in the position to help other JWs come to learn the real truth.
    That's the one. I have no idea how many times I have posted here that we won't call rumors "facts" Regardless of what we find WTS supporters (aka JWs) will take anything we say and call it dirt.
  • Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

zugzwang

I think we ex's are so efficient and effective at uncovering the flaws in the WTS because we were trained as Witnesses to uncover and point out the flaws in other religions.

I'm not sure that part is true. We were told the other religions were bad but did we really learn critical thinking skills from the WTS? I know I didn't. I just spewed out what they told me. It wasn't until I left that I began to allow myself the freedom to think critically about what I had been taught. TallTexan

When you tell your followers and the world that if you don't do as they tell you then you will lose your salvation, you'd better be ready to back it up and be SQUEAKY CLEAN. If they were a little more humble, well, maybe they wouldn't be such a target then.

BINGO!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

greendawn

The "apostates" strongly object to the WTS because they got treated by them in a rough way, they weren't allowed to speak their mind in the org (and instead got thrown out for wanting a free debate attitude) and now they do their best to speak about what is wrong with the dubs.

Sadly we are finding out there is a LOT wrong with the dubs. Yes I was treated badly. But that has no bearing on why I speak out now. I wanted out and I got out. And it took me 10 long years before I could even consider reading anything anti-WTS. If you really look and read what people have posted on this board you will see that those who left because they weren't allowed to speak their mind in the org are by far the minority of posters.

Honesty

We only uncover what the WTBT$ has tried to hide. Sometimes it is easy to find and sometimes they have hidden it under so many layers of grime that we have to do a more thorough job. When that happens we almost always uncover another pile of dirt that needs to be sifted through

ain't that the truth!!!

KW13

I don't dream of the downfall of the WBT, but the whole thing is just wrong.
    I don't think they will fall. They may have to move to third world countries but their "gains" are going to get smaller and smaller and the lies will then get bigger and bigger. Whoa that is a scary thought
  • Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

IMustBreakAway

Utimately it is a fight that is pretty common, a fight against injustice.

This really hits home for me. It lies at the base of the work I do with people who have been abused.

Gumby

Answer = to stop crime

Good answer

Golf

Is it uncovering 'dirt' or 'truth?' I prefer the truth, because the truth sets one free.
    Well they call it dirt. Like you I call it truth
  • Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

willowman

....... which could be why they don't want you to have free time on your hands!!!

ya think? Look at what we do with all this extra time

IP_SEC

I think for me for a while it was that nagging "what if they are right" "what if armaggeddon does come"

Constantly learning "new dirt" helped me to put those fears to the back of my mind 'til they finally went away.

Sort of like getting an inocculation on a regular basis Dave
    A just-coming-out JW mentioned to me in a pm, "I still hear a nagging in my head, 'What if it's really the truth?'" Those sorts of feelings leave a person uncomfortable, unhappy. The truth needs to be dug up and displayed so people don't have to live with this uncertainty.

Well said. I lived for 10 years with those thoughts in my head.I never get them anymore. But I do kind myself surprised at how far down they will go to bury the facts

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit