Biblical beliefs that are similar to older pagan beliefs

by M.J. 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    Not sure if I'm on the wavelength with this, but Hislop's book The Two Babylons is pretty fascinating.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/188131636X/026-3799330-5314064

I have read this book. There are iMHO a lot of mistakes, language mix-ups, speculation in this book.

by the way, before It could be ordered through the society

Danny

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I agree with DannyB: Hislop is mostly outdated pseudo-scholarship -- outdated because it stands even worse against 20th-century findings and studies. ICBtC's link on the other hand is a helpful summary of current scholarship.

The first thing to question actually is the very adjective "pagan". The concept of "paganism" is basically negative: it is the shadow which so-called "revealed religion" casts on everything else, including its own historical background. Josiah's reform, Deuteronomism and 2nd Isaiah's monotheism retrospectively made all the ancient polytheistic religion of Israel "pagan".

• Clam
    Clam

OK sorry for the bum steer guys. I read it about 20 years ago and I did borrow if from a Bruvver.

That link is very interesting. I'm enjoying the extra education I'm getting on this forum.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Virgin birth, death on a cross, stake or tree. Initiation by wine and bread. Baptism in water and holy breath.

Gods making women pregnant.

Good grief, too many to list in one sitting.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Thanks everyone. I've been away from the internet since I posted this topic.

Thanks for that link, IC. I haven't hit on any good links on Google but this one appears to be what I was looking for.

Shazard: you point is well taken. My aim isn't to discredit the Bible but to try and uncover all the facts that the WTS keeps locked away, whatever they may be. Truth will prevail.

Thanks for the tip on Hislop. I know a JW who is planning on getting that book. It's funny how dubs are enthusiastic to get non-WTS books only if it's on the "approved reading list".

In general I'm looking for a quick comeback to hit a JW with when they start spouting off the "pagan origins" bit.

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

You are Welcome! I hope you guys enjoy that link as much as I did, it's alot of information but it's worth it!

IC (of the I'm no longer blinded by Religion class)

• M.J.
    M.J.

Anyone know much about the similarities between the accounts of Tammuz and Christ? I somewhere that Tammuz was supposedly a god that was resurrected.

• Narkissos
  • peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

if you still have the infamous Insight volumes check out the section 'gods and godess' , there the writer briefly admits that there were very ancient nonJewish tales of gods or sons of gods dying to save men from sin or whatever. They simply dismiss the implications. Its been years since I read it there but I'm sure you will find it if you want. I think it was the top of left column on left hand page.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Numbers 5:11-28. Read and weep

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit