Does 2 Samuel 12:15 show the god of the Bible to be a god of justice?

by scout575 18 Replies latest jw friends

• scout575
    scout575

After King David commits adulery with Bathaheba and arranges for her husband Uriah to be killed in battle, does God execute the death penalty on David as prescribed by the Mosaic law for adulterers? ( Deut 22:22 ) No. Rather than executing David, what punishment does God mete out? At 2 Samuel 12:15, the Bible shows that God chooses to execute the child that is born as a result of David's adultery with Bathsheba. The verse reads: "And the LORD struck the child that Uriah's wife bare unto David, and it was very sick." In verse 18 it says: "And it came to pass on the seventh day, that the child died." Does this account portray the god of the Bible as a god of justice?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

The tribal god of the Jews was not just. He was a mean, vindictive, dictator.

• Genesis
    Genesis

Hey IP_SEC, you should respect Jehobah ! Oops... :P Genesis

• Rooster
    Rooster

19 You will therefore say to me: "Why does he yet find fault? For who has withstood his express will?" 20 O man, who, then, really are you to be answering back to God? Shall the thing molded say to him that molded it, "Why did you make me this way?" 21 What? Does not the potter have authority over the clay to make from the same lump one vessel for an honorable use, another for a dishonorable use? 22 If, now, God, although having the will to demonstrate his wrath and to make his power known, tolerated with much long-suffering vessels of wrath made fit for destruction, 23 in order that he might make known the riches of his glory upon vessels of mercy, which he prepared beforehand for glory, 24 namely, us, whom he called not only from among Jews but also from among nations, [what of it]? 25 It is as he says also in Ho·se´a: "Those not my people I will call ‘my people,’ and her who was not beloved ‘beloved’; 26 and in the place where it was said to them, ‘YOU are not my people,’ there they will be called ‘sons of the living God.’"
  • governingboobbie
    governingboobbie

I agree totaly with IP-SEC mean ,vindictive, unjust. And this is the god they look forward to being ruled by for eternity? Go figure.

governingboobie

• Shazard
    Shazard

So you all ar Just, but God is not Just. Poore God when the big tribunal will come and YOU will judge God :) Hope I will have a chance to see this case... YOU against GOD :)

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

Keep in mind that theses books were part of the King /Priest government of the time. Once the crime had become public, this was the only way for the King to avoid the death penalty and for the priesthood to maintain authority. The people were mostly illiterate and it is doubtful that they had individual scrolls at home. The education was directed at social order by the priesthood through the family heads, probably orally. The entering of David's information into the sacred scrolls would have a powerful influence on maintaining the respect of the people without making the priesthood a laughing stock. In the words of Judge Rutherford (loosly quoted) " ...the Bible is a book about government..."

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Yhwh 1.0: "I the LORD your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me." (Exodus 20:5)

Yhwh 1.1: "Parents shall not be put to death for their children, nor shall children be put to death for their parents; only for their own crimes may persons be put to death." (Deuteronomy 24:16.)

• Mary
    Mary

Maybe God had nothing to do with it. Maybe one of the priests did find out what David had done, confronted him with it, and when David's child died (not an uncommon thing back then), he figured that Jehovah had killed the child to punish him.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Mary I agree - people who are especially religious ascribe everything to God - if the son had been born then someone would have written that God had forgiven David and blessed him with a son. The likelehood is much simpler - child dies -scribe writes it down as punishment from God. As for David's punishment its the same as for all murderers as far as I'm aware - a punishment that is meted out other than on earth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit