How do you feel about people on government assistence?

by free2beme 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I noticed a few of you have jumped on my question about taking any job!!

I feel that my point might have been missed that, in the UK at least it is sometimes more beneficial financially not to take the poorly paid/long hours jobs. I don't in any way condone such behaviour, but I do understand why some are tempted to take the 'easy' option.

I would ask too, would you take a job if it for example compromised your own beliefs/values (a possibly extreme eg - would a vegan animal rights activist take a job at a slaughterhouse if it was all they could get?)

littlerockguy - you reminded me of another problem I encountered a few times. Potential employers turned me down for jobs because I was 'overqualified' Some seem to have the attitude that if you're bright, you'll get bored easily and quit - absolutely not true for me, I thrive on long drawn-out tedious tasks, I get more sense of achievement when I complete them!

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

I happen to know of four families that are on welfare. and dont really believe any of them need it, three are sisters with two kids each and they haven't worked in years and don't even try, they are pioneers, and believe that jehovah provided the welfare so that they can be in the full time ministry. I am not kidding talking to them is like talking to and trying to make sense out of the wall's responses. There isn't any intelligibile response from a wall and not from them either. One brother hasn't workd in 15 years his wife drives a cab to try and make money on the side he is lazy, and the very model of a Jdub holier than thou attitude, his two boys are no grown and both have been in jail due to having a mix up with the law over drugs and from last info I got from him they are both not working, like father like sons I guess at least in their case.

• free2beme
    free2beme
    But, the money has been spent. And on a war that was arguably completely unnecessary.

Is any war ever 100% necessary? Personally, we see the losers of wars as terrible people in history, because to the victors belong the history books. I think Iraq will be seen as an attempt to stop something that in the end, could never be stopped within one countries borders. I don't think it will be seen as a mistake, as much as it will be seen as something that helped some people, but did not help what it claimed to be fighting. The people of Iraq are better off, and do not forget that the people causing the most trouble are often from other countries. I think the American people deserve to be able to decide if our boy's blood need to police the world? Unfortunately, this will not be the last time it happens, and that is why it will be a foot-note, once enough time as passed and a new war nears.

• seesthesky
    seesthesky

The most vilified form of welfare is Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC)

afdc no longer exists -it is called TANF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit