non-information

by DannyBloem 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

While my father, stepmother and I (13 y.o.) became JWs in 1972, my older stepbrother (16 y.o.) had a Bible study for about three months, attended a few meetings and dropped it all with the following comment: "Repetitive and boring."

Retrospectively I'm amazed at this insight which saved him years of meaningful life. I was concerned with "right or wrong, true or false," and this seemed to be worth the bore (which I felt too). It took me over a decade to see through a faked "truth". With the different, apparently shallower standard of "interesting vs. boring," he knew better at once.

Yesterday I came across Cioran's aphorism: "A boring person is a person who can never be bored." (Twilight of thoughts, tentative translation.)

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

I like that quote... I always would complain to my parents that i was bored at meetings. And they would say something flip like, Only boring people get bored. To which i devloped the smart reply of, No, only people who are easliy entertained don't get bored..

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

I like that quote... I always would complain to my parents that i was bored at meetings. And they would say something flip like, Only boring people get bored. To which i devloped the smart reply of, No, only people who are easliy entertained don't get bored..

For me one of the biggest non info thing in the WT was when the last paragraph would read "In our next article we will learn....".

And then they would ask the question, "What will we learn in the next article?" That is one of the most pathetic things they can do the prove that they really have nothing to say.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit