Real Reason the Annointed Won't Die Off.

by Woodsman 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

w79 11/15 p. 27 Benefiting from “One Mediator Between God and Men” ***

When the last of these approved spiritual Israelites cease to be “men” because of earthly death and a resurrection to a share in the heavenly kingdom, then the mediatorship of Jesus Christ will cease also.

w79 11/15 p. 26 Benefiting from “One Mediator Between God and Men” ***

’ That new covenant between “our Savior, God,” and spiritual

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

then the mediatorship of Jesus Christ will cease also. -of course which would mean in theory the GB they would be all non-annointed by then) would not have any scriptural control over the Great Crowd - very clever but so true

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

Thanks Stilla, This forum keeps chopping off my posts and they end up looking dumb. I'm getting post shy.

• Dune
    Dune

One thing that has surprised me is that many people dont know the Generation change in 1995. I discussed the issue with an elder last summer and he seemed to not know about it.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    This forum keeps chopping off my posts and they end up looking dumb. I'm getting post shy.

I've noticed that happens if you try to post directly from MS Word.

If this is the case with you , try to copy to notepad from word then to the forum.

• Brigid
    Brigid

What was the generation change again?

Brigid

• ringo5
    ringo5

This was a change in the understanding of Matthew 24:34

"This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur."

pre 1995 it taught that this was a literal generation, that at least some people who were alive in 1914 would see armegeddon arrive.

*** Awake! 1962 September 22 p.27 'This Generation Will Not Pass' ***
    [Scan available]

[...] But what "generation" did Christ have in mind?

Was Jesus using the word "generation" in a symbolic way? No we should not say that the word "generation" here has a symbolic meaning and that it refers, for example, to persons of the spiritual body of Christ exclusively, or only to the true Christian organization itself

The word "generation" at Matthew 24:34 is to be viewed in an ordinary sense, as at Acts 13:36 and Mark 8:12. Acts 13:36 speaks of David's very own generation, a literal generation. The generation of persons living in Jesus' time, person who sought a sign, according to Mark 8:12, was a literal generation. That a symbolic application to a "generation" of wicked persons is not meant at Matthew 24:34 is apparent when we read the preceding verse: "Likewise also you, when you see all these things, know that he is near at the doors." It is the generation of persons who "see all these things" to whom Jesus refers in verse 34, irrespective of whether such persons are righteous or wicked. Since Jesus was foretelling conditions prevailing now at the world's time of the end, the generation now living is the one to which he pointed forward in his prophecy of the last days.

Bible prophecies indicate that Christ was installed as the King of God's heavenly kingdom in 1914. Without delay, the newly enthroned Potentate waged ware against the Devil and his demons, resulting in their ouster from the heavens. (Rev. 12:7-9) The "generation" of Matthew 24:34 includes persons alive at the time that the war in heaven began in 1914. All who were living or who came on the scene around that time are part of that generation. Members of that generation will see the end of this world.

It should be noted, however, that the world's end does not come after the end of that generation. It comes within that generation.
    Jesus himself said that the generation would not pass away "until all these things occur." "now learn from the fig tree as an illustration this point: Just as soon as its young branch grows tender and it puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. Likewise also you, when you see all these things, know that he is near at the doors." (Matt. 24:32, 33) The happenings that he foretold do not indicate that the end would come in the next generation; they are 'the sign of his presence' and of the impending end of the old world. The generation living in 1914, millions of whom are still alive on earth, will be living when the end comes at Armageddon.

[Emphasis Added]

This was changed in 1995 to indicate something less meaningful-

*** Watchtower 1995 November 1 pp.16-20 A Time to Keep Awake ***
    "Keep on the Watch"!

5 After prophesying events leading up to a time of "great tribulation," Jesus added: "Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father." (Matthew 24:3-36; Mark 13:3-32) We do not need to know the exact timing of events. Rather, our focus must be on being watchful, cultivating strong faith, and keeping busy in Jehovah's service—not on calculating a date. Jesus concluded his great prophecy by saying: "Keep looking, keep awake, for you do not know when the appointed time is. . . . Keep on the watch . . . What I say to you I say to all, Keep on the watch." (Mark 13:33-37) Danger lurks in the shadows of today's world. We must keep awake!—Romans 13:11-13.

6 Not only must we pay attention to the inspired prophecies concerning these final days of a wicked system but we must anchor our faith primarily on the precious sacrifice of Christ Jesus and God's marvelous promises based thereon. (Hebrews 6:17-19; 9:14; 1 Peter 1:18, 19; 2 Peter 1:16-19) Eager to see the end of this evil system, Jehovah's people have at times speculated about the time when the "great tribulation" would break out, even tying this to calculations of what is the lifetime of a generation since 1914. However, we "bring a heart of wisdom in," not by speculating about how many years or days make up a generation, but by thinking about how we "count our days" in bringing joyful praise to Jehovah. (Psalm 90:12) Rather than provide a rule for measuring time, the term "generation" as used by Jesus refers principally to contemporary people of a certain historical period, with their identifying characteristics.

7 In line with the above, professor of history Robert Wohl wrote in his book The Generation of 1914: "A historical generation is not defined by its chronological limits . . . It is not a zone of dates." But he pointed out that World War I created "an overwhelming sense of rupture with the past," and he added: "Those who lived through the war could never rid themselves of the belief that one world had ended and another begun in August 1914." How true that is! It focuses on the crux of the matter. "This generation" of mankind since 1914 has experienced appalling changes. It has seen the earth drenched with the blood of millions. Warfare, genocide, terrorism, crime, and lawlessness have erupted worldwide. Famine, disease, and immorality have stalked our globe. Jesus prophesied: "You also, when you [his disciples] see these things occurring, know that the kingdom of God is near. Truly I say to you, This generation will by no means pass away until all things occur."—Luke 21:31, 32.

8 Yes, the complete triumph of the Messianic Kingdom is at hand! Is anything to be gained, then, by looking for dates or by speculating about the literal lifetime of a "generation"? Far from it! Habakkuk 2:3 clearly states: "The vision is yet for the appointed time, and it keeps panting on to the end, and it will not tell a lie. Even if it should delay, keep in expectation of it; for it will without fail come true. It will not be late." Jehovah's day of accounting hastens ever closer.—Jeremiah 25:31-33; Malachi 4:1.

9 When Christ's Kingdom rule began in 1914, Satan was hurled down to earth. This has meant "woe for the earth . . . because the Devil has come down to you, having great anger, knowing he has a short period of time." (Revelation 12:12) That time is short, indeed, compared with the thousands of years of Satan's rulership. The Kingdom is at hand, and so is Jehovah's day and hour for executing judgment on this wicked generation!—Proverbs 3:25; 10:24, 25.
    The "Generation" That Passes Away

10 Let us examine more closely Jesus' statement at Matthew 24:34, 35: "Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away." Jesus' words that follow show that 'nobody knows that day and hour.' Far more important, he shows that we must avoid the snares surrounding us in this generation. Thus Jesus adds: "For just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the Son of man will be. For as they were in those days before the flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark; and they took no note until the flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be." (Matthew 24:36-39) Jesus here compared the generation of his day to that of Noah's day.—Genesis 6:5, 9; footnote.

11 This was not the first time that the apostles heard Jesus make this comparison of 'generations,' for some days earlier he had stated concerning himself: "The Son of man . . . must undergo many sufferings and be rejected by this generation. Moreover, just as it occurred in the days of Noah, so it will be also in the days of the Son of man." (Luke 17:24-26) Thus, Matthew chapter 24 and Luke chapter 17 make the same comparison. In Noah's day "all flesh [that] had ruined its way on the earth" and that was destroyed at the Flood was "this generation." In Jesus' day the apostate Jewish people that were rejecting Jesus was "this generation."—Genesis 6:11, 12; 7:1.

12 Therefore, in the final fulfillment of Jesus' prophecy today, "this generation" apparently refers to the peoples of earth who see the sign of Christ's presence but fail to mend their ways. In contrast, we as Jesus' disciples refuse to be molded by the life-style of "this generation." Though in the world, we must be no part of it, "for the appointed time is near." (Revelation 1:3; John 17:16) The apostle Paul admonishes us: "Keep doing all things free from murmurings and arguments, that you may come to be blameless and innocent, children of God without a blemish in among a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you are shining as illuminators in the world." —Philippians 2:14, 15; Colossians 3:5-10; 1 John 2:15-17.

For a more complete understanding of this change try this Generation quotes

• geevee
    geevee

Dune, trouble is that they don't recall the older publications and WT/AWA articles like when you have a dud product. So unless you are really ontop of your game and mark these changes in all your books, you could end up reading and still believing the "old light".
    Imagine the product recall..........would you get your money back? I'd have to go to the rubbish dump and try to find my defective old light....

• greendawn
    greendawn

Will the madiatorship of Jesus ever end? That piece of theology is unique to the JWs as far as I know and with the record they have I wouldn't take it seriously. They have themselves already rejected most of their own original doctrines which means they are incompetent.

It's worth noting that seven out of the twelve GB members were born after 1935.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit