My Letter RE: Beaumont Article on JW's "disaster relief"

by badwillie 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

And here is mine.....

This is in response to your recent article on Jehovah’s Witnesses and their efforts to help rebuild the homes of their fellow believers.

As a former Jehovah’s Witness with over 30 years as an active member, my family, friends and I have spent many volunteer hours in doing this type of work, as well as building Kingdom Halls (as Jehovah’s Witnesses call their ‘churches’), door-to-door evangelizing, and other organization-related activities. I know from experience that the people you talked to most likely have a sincere desire to help their fellow believers, many times at their own expense – both monetarily and in time taken from families and leisure activities.

However, I feel that your article, while pointing these things out, paints a glamorous picture of an organization that is corrupt and dishonest at the expense of its individual members. Visit websites such as www.freeminds.org, www.jehovahs-witness.com, and www.silentlambs.com for detailed information about how the Jehovah’s Witness organization, known as the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society based in Brooklyn, NY protects pedophiles within the organization, forces an inconsistent and unscriptural blood ban on its members that results in thousands of deaths, and uses its perceived standing as God’s only ‘true’ organization to heavy-handedly rule the most intimate details of its members lives.

Your article highlights the proclaimed love shown by the members of Jehovah’s Witnesses. What is left out is how conditional this love is. The organization uses an unscriptural, unloving, shunning procedure (known as disfellowshipping) to ‘discipline’ any member who chooses to exercise any amount of free will in their own lives. This means that anyone associated with the organization, even the offender’s own family members, cannot speak to or even acknowledge this individual. Anyone critical of the organization is labeled an ‘apostate’, is removed from the organization, and subjected to shunning. I guarantee that none of these individuals received any assistance from the organization.

Further, the gentleman that stated that they would ‘like to help’ members of the community is at best naïve, at worst a complete falsehood. Witnesses are discouraged over and over again from spending time or money on anyone outside the organization, unless it is to preach to them. Joining, or even donating to, ‘worldly’ organizations such as the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, the YMCA or others will result in disciplinary action against that individual. The WBTS has repeatedly railed against organizations such as the Red Cross in their magazines, The Watchtower and the Awake!, which makes their acceptance of aid from these organizations the utmost in hypocrisy.

Your article also states that “ Jehovah's Witnesses who can't drive to Southeast Texas donate money to help the cause, Avila said, which is used to buy supplies and food.” This is not technically true. Congregation members are not allowed to donate to individual ‘causes’. They donate their money to the “Worldwide Preaching Work”, which is collected by each congregation, sent to Brooklyn, and then the money is dispensed by the WBTS as it sees fit.

Again, to be clear, the individual Witnesses that you interviewed are doing what they feel is right at great personal sacrifice to themselves. They are very sheltered from the reality of the organization that they are a part of since they are not allowed to talk to ex-members or read anything negative about their organization. The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society is a multi-billion dollar corporation built on the backs of ‘volunteers’, such as I used to be. Volunteers who are told that this is their way to salvation. Please do some research into the other side of being a Jehovah’s Witness and I think you’ll be shocked and appalled of the reality of the lives of the ‘happy’ workers you met.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Wow, TT

~Merry

• badwillie
    badwillie

MM - very nice letter, sincere and direct. I wish these papers would stop giving away valuable column inches to the WT media (actually marketing) department. Hopefully this journalist will actually look into all this stuff.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

great letter , I think you struck a nice balance

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

I sent my 'ripoff racket' letter within 1 hour of the article appearing on the news wire.

This is what we need we are on a roll.........

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

cool...it's been sent.

I'll be interested to see if there is any response to our letters, either personally or in print.

~Merry

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

My guess is that Jamie is going to be a little surprised.

Power to the internet.

B

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

Mine too-----

RE: Church members come from far and
    wide to repair hundreds of houses 1 / 13 / 06

Jamie

Your article brought back memories for me. I spent over forty years as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I was an elder for over twenty years. I participated in much construction work with the group including spending many weekends in flood relief work in Houston following Allison. All this at considerable personal sacrifice in time and energy. I have worked with some of the people mentioned in your article.

I felt very good about what I was able to do, as I felt I was really demonstrating the love Christians should show. I have now come to realize that the love shown by Jehovah's Witnesses is too limited and conditonal to qualify as Christian love.

The construction work is a welcome break from the essentialy fruitless door to door witnessing activity. Nevertheless, once the homes of Jehovah's Witnessses are repaired, the workers will ignore the plight of non Jehovah's Witnesses and go back to spending their time in the 'ministry.'

An even greater demonstration of lack of Christlike love is the way Jehovah's Witnesses are instructed to turn their back on their relatives who have chosen another religious path. Note the following quotes from The Watchtower magazine, the official mouthpiece of Jehovah's Witnesses, in regard to the shunning policy. It is published at the direction of approximately a dozen men in Brooklyn who call themselves the Faithful and Discreet Slave who should be obeyed without question.

The Watchtower of April 15, 1988, page 28. “It might be possible to have almost no contact at all with the relative. Even if there were some family matters requiring contact, this certainly would be kept to a minimum.

The Watchtower 1952 11/15 p. 703

Of course, if the children are of age, then there can be a departing and breaking of family ties in a physical way, because the spiritual ties have already snapped.

How can some construction work compensate for the damage done to families by this shunning policy?

As you can see from the following quotes, a person can be a fine example of Christian conduct, believe in the Bible, God, and Jesus, and still be completely rejected by Jehovah's Witness family members.

The Watchtower 1986 4/1 p. 31

Obviously, a basis for approved fellowship with Jehovah’s Witnesses cannot rest merely on a belief in God, in the Bible, in Jesus Christ, and so forth.

Approved association with Jehovah’s Witnesses requires accepting the entire range of the true teachings of the Bible, including those Scriptural beliefs that are unique to Jehovah’s Witnesses.

The Watchtower 1989 10/1 p. 19

But what if they unrepentantly promote false teaching? Then, in effect, they must be quarantined. They are disfellowshipped, and we stay away from them…..

Other Jehovah's Witnesses would not even speak to this person in passing at the grocery store. This could be simply because he no longer believes that Jesus returned invisibly in 1914 or that the small group in Brooklyn is the Faithful and Discreet Slave appointed by Jesus in 1919. Or he might have accepted medical treatment not approved by them.

In view of the foregoing, I hope you can see why the Jehovah's Witness organization does not deserve the praise it would like to receive as the loving, charitable group described in your article.

Sincerely,

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

Blindersoff,

Good letter. Nice touch including the quotes from the literature to prove that the thoughts are not simply those of an 'embittered ex member.'

• billyboy
    billyboy

My reply (oops - doesn't exactly follow the JWD line!)

Hi Jamie - enjoyed your report on 13th Jan about work done by Jehovah's witnesses. I live in the UK and am impressed by the work done (I'm an active JW).

Ironically , you'll probaly get more emails criticising the work than commending it - ex-JWs are very active online and are keen to negatively portray our work. There are a few message boards asking members to write to you eg http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/105755/1.ashx

Don't let these embittered individuals put you off - its great to read good news sometimes!

All the best

XXXXXX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit