A Caterpillar's Diary

by jst2laws 7 Replies latest social entertainment

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

If you are critical of spirituality you will find plenty of material at which to poke fun. If you are in a mystical/spiritual mood you might enjoy it.

May I tell you about my caterpillar friends? A colony of them lived in a row of banana trees along a river that flowed through a parched land. There were only banana trees as far as you could see, and there were only those caterpillars in the banana trees. The caterpillars often spoke together about “The Island”. The island had every type of plant to eat, perfect weather, and no birds to threaten them. But the island was in the sea, far away, and the caterpillars had no way to get there.

One day several caterpillars got together and formulated a plan. “Lets chew off these banana tree leaves near their base and they will drop into the river. We can ride them down the river to the sea and there will be the paradise island. It would work. So all the caterpillars went to work on their own leaf and soon they were riding the current of the river heading to the sea. It didn’t matter how big or small the leaf was, nor the shape. All the banana tree leaves were heading down the river to the same destination, the island in the sea that had everything.

The caterpillars were each enthusiastic. Yes they had what they needed to eat and plenty of life’s water to drink from the river. Although the river meandered, was a slow mode of travel, and had some dangerous rapids it was taking them where they wanted to go. And their individual banana leaf had taken on a symbolic meaning to each caterpillar: survival, and the way to the paradise. They had become rather protective of their own leaves.

One day a butterfly landed on one of the leaves. The butterfly discussed with the caterpillars their plan to ride the banana tree leaves down the current to the sea, to reach the Paradise island. The butterfly shared with them a secret: They did not have to ride the banana tree leaves to the sea. If they just believed they can do it, they could become butterfly’s and leave the river behind. They could FLY to the sea.

This sounded good to the caterpillars. Their goal in life truly was to get to the paradise island in the sea. The meandering river and their decomposing leaves were a hazardous means of getting there. Flying would be a direct route and almost immediate.

“But . . . . .”

Steve

• jgnat
    jgnat

That's adorable. Is it yours?

I imagine the WTBTS has it's own "nourishing" banana leaf, and all the other leaves are false ones.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

And birds. And they can fly over rivers. And can see caterpillars on banana leaves. And have lunch. And eat to satisfaction.

Neat story. Those caterpillars don't stand a chance on rough ocean waves with only a banana leaf and a prayer.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Thanks Jgnat and Auldsoul,

I imagine the WTBTS has it's own "nourishing" banana leaf, and all the other leaves are false ones

Yes. But then, many other panana tree leaves think theirs is the only one going to sea. BTW, this is where I meditate.

Steve

• belbab
    belbab

Float, Float Float your leaf

Gently down the stream

Merrily, Merrily, Merrily

Life is but a dream.

Sail, Sail, Sail your leaf

Far across the sea

Sadly, Sadly, Sadly

The sea is all you'll see

Sink, Sink, Sink your float

Weave ashore your tomb

Joyfully, Joyfully, Joyfully

You'll fly high away at noon

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

belbab,

Steve

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Beautiful little story, dear Steve.

Perhaps in the pure atmosphere of silence, it will be clearly seen and discovered that no journey or chrysalis, is necessary.

alt

j

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

James,

Very nice thought. I understand. I have my wings.

Thanks for the kind pm too.

Steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit