Why don't some members of the congregations never slow down or get tired out?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

People like these are the hardcore true believers who don't have the mind nor the spirit with which to question anything. They go to their grave without a doubt.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

For some men basking in the supposed power of god is all too uplifting toward their own personal stature and identity of themselves. Its all about the power and control for these men and when you really think about it, thats the same reason the original orchestraters of this religious institution who created this organization was also seeking power and control, irregardless of their own ignorance within bible theology.

• blondie
    blondie

I don't believe it is just that they are old now....they started when they were younger, our age or younger. The world was different then too, people more religious, they went through worldwide bad times, worldwide depression, world wars, less focus on entertainment and sports (advent of radio, tv, movies, cable (24 hour tv), DVD recorders, etc.

Some like and get acknowledgement from the organization for their constant sacrifice now. They honestly have no life apart from the WTS.

My jw mother died 2 years ago, she had hoped to live through Armageddon and hoped it till the day she died. She had been less than constant in being a jw but as the years wore on, she was worried she would not have time to make it up before the end of this system or her own end.

I found though that those with outward "works" to the congregation were few and more gave just the appearance. How many people did those you know convert? I read on here recently of some that spend years and converted no one. Even I (sad to say) converted about 10 people (all out now thanks for that).

I think of the women who never had those outward signs who pioneering was not held in high esteem. Who raised their children while hubby was gallivanting around showing off his works.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It should also be realized that JWS are socially engaged only within their own religion, this includes all outside secular social activities.

The WTS purposely separates its followers from socializing with non-members, this can even mean people's own family members as well.

So from that perspective is it any wonder why people maintain the social interaction with other members of their congregation ? They really aren't given the choice.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

What do you think is the reason some members of the congregation never slow down or get tired out?

I think they get tired but they don't slow down because "mother" doesn't give them permission to slow down. In this organization it doesn't matter if you are 20 or 80, you have to perform, whether you are in a wheelchair or pushing a walker you have to be on that treadmill of activity.

• zeb
    zeb
    institutionalised.
  • Perry
    Perry
    What do you think is the reason some members of the congregation never slow down or get tired out?

Two words - Will worship

Colossians 2:23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh. -KJV

Romans 8:13 “For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.”

God says that when we try to do things by will-power alone, it is nothing more than idolatry and only satisfies the flesh. It is offensive to him and deadly. It does not address the real problem of sin and only puts up a show of righteousness.

As a group, JW’s are not known as lazy people. Many members have admirable powers of self-discipline, industriousness, and character. However, I learned that Jesus is not asking us to try harder, run faster & jump higher to be good enough for Salvation. That’s the good news. The bad news is that he is asking us for nothing less than the death of all deeds rooted in our flesh. He is asking us to abandon our self to him. And, in that abandonment he promises freedom and rest. These are his terms for peace.

Jesus terms for peace with God are unusual. In the Roman world, peace was achieved differently. The legions would march into an area with a superior show of force and many times the local king would send out and ambassador to see if terms of peace could be reached. The Romans were practical people. They had mastered the art of war and they sought to export this product. In exchange for a tax payment, they offered the protection of the Roman legion against marauding bands of foreigners. The people could enjoy a limited national autonomy, and they could enjoy the Pax Romana, the Roman Peace…. as long as they paid the tax. This is how the major cities in Europe got their start. It all seemed so practical.

It is against this backdrop that Jesus tells us his terms for peace with God in Luke 14: 31-33

Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace. So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath , he cannot be my disciple.

Jesus terms for peace with God is NOT a percentage of our works, it is ALL of them. This is the meaning of his words where he said that, he who seeks to find his life will lose it, and he who seeks to lose his life for my sake will find it.

Hebrews 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Jesus was once asked point blank what the work of God was:

John 6: 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Jesus reveals that our most basic responsibility before God is to believe him. A split second BEFORE Eve sinned; she made a decision not to believe God. Belief is a CHOICE. Our obedience to what Jesus commands proves our belief is real. JW’s love to quote James 2 where it says, “faith without works is dead.” That is true, but it must be God working in us both to will and to do, or else it is still tainted by sin. And, the only way that is going to happen is to be born again with a new spirit.

Col. 1: 27 …God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

2 Cor. 5: 17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature:

Gal. 2: 20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Having to be born again is offensive to our intellect and our pride. Humans want to believe they are good enough for God. They imagine a false God that will accept their works. However, we must deal with the God we have, not the one we imagine. For Jehovah’s Witnesses this is a great obstacle. They are very proud of their works before God. And, only an understanding of Judgment, and the payment made for each of us by Jesus Christ can motivate a person enough to get past their pride and hurt feelings in my opinion.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

'Why don't some members of the congregations never slow down or get tired out?'

Zealous die-hards are not unique to the JW religion. You'll find them among the Catholics, Mormons...in fact you'll find them all over the damn place!

One thing is for sure... what you see among the JWs is indeed misplaced enthusiasm and devotion toward/for a lost cause....very sad!

• Vidqun
    Vidqun
    The counter argument here is that he died at 83. Who knows, he might have gone over a 100, if he looked after himself better. Concerning my grandmother, smokers in the family always pointed to her and said she smoked till she was in her eighties. I countered by saying, when she did die at 84 she died of double pneumonia. She would have reached a hundred if she did not smoke.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit