New to the Forum

by wokeup 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• wokeup
    wokeup

Hi to all in the forum. I am new here and would like to briefly share how I arrived here. I was born and raised a witness.I'm in my 40's and married.I had some doubts as regards to some docrinal teachings and changes in the 80's. The '95 doctrinal shifts further caused me to do some soul searching. I researched the WT library going back to the Study in the Scriptures even and gained valuable insight the the real truth.Knowing all to well the repurcussions to openly question doctrine I stepped down as MS so I could sleep at night.I told the elders I was taught that everything outside the Society eminated from the Devil but the literature often referred to references from "Babylon the Great" to give weight to the arguement yet rarely provided appendices or accurate references to substanciate the validity of the information. It was difficult and nearly impossible to "make sure of all things". I'm concidered in good standing but do not participate. I accompany my wife who knows how I feel but refuses to read or talk about my observations for she doesn't want to be cut off from her family which comprise of a 4th of the congregation.I have over the past year or two drawn my own conclusions on doctrinal matters but I am not here to preach. I'm here to lend a hearing ear to others as well as recieve insight and support from others.I am a free thinker which is not appreciated in the org.My 7 years of college helped see to that. Unfortunately, it hasn't improved my typing skills......Respectfully, Allen

• larc
    larc

Allen,

Welcome to our community. There are some really good people here. Maximus was a DO and worked at Bethel before that. Hillary Step just left at the end of this year and has a deep knowledge of the internal problems of the organization. Silent lambs resigned last year as a CO over a very serious congregational problem. His web site can be found at the bottom of this page. Randy Watters, known here as Dogpatch has a website that also can be found at the bottom of this page, called FreeMinds. Kent, from Norway, has one called Watchtower Observer. All of the people I mention, have thoughtful, useful contributions to make.

I trust that your being with us will be an enriching experience for us as well as for you. Please contribute your thoughts and ideas.

• think41self
    think41self

Hi Allen,

Welcome to the board, and thank you for sharing a little bit of yourself with us. I of course was never a DO or CO(being a "lowly" woman you know) but I think I've had BO before . Sorry Larc, just couldn't resist, ya know

Allen, don't worry about your typing skills...trust me, we don't care. What we do care about is being supportive of you while you go through this difficult time! I left a couple of years ago, and left all of my family behind except my sister...but I have no regrets. It is nice to see you able to think for yourself. Don't ever give up that freedom. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

think41self

"It is much more sensible to be an optimist instead of a pessimist, for if one is doomed to disappointment, why experience it in advance?"
    Amelia Peabody Emerson

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Welcome Allen. I was raised in the truth as well, but I am female so did not have to step aside as MS, thank goodness. That, I am sure, was very difficult for you. I congratulate you for growing a spine and standing up for the REAL truth. And yes, please visit Freeminds and read the book from Ray Franz - Crisis of Conscience. As a former member of the GB, he has some wonderful insight, which really helped me to realize - wow, what kind of channel of God is this if major life altering choices made by the GB can't even be agreed upon!

Also, please research all of your doctrinal beliefs if you have not already. I have personally found I do not believe the 144,000 class anymore since I feel they are the 12 tribes of Israel literally. The great crowd stood before the throne - and the throne is heaven. The bible also states the earth will melt in Armageddon. Interesting finds, but I know it can be very very upsetting. I have been on quite a roller coaster, as I am sure you have been, too. Keep your head up and remember to talk to all of us here, we have something very special in common. And be patient, some of us (me included) can be a bit nutty.

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

Hey, welcome!

I am sorry that your wife will not discuss what you have found, but I very much respect that fact that you are going to meetings with her, yet not participating. After a while, perhaps by seeing that you are still the same man she married...just with different beliefs...she will start to be more receptive to getting your new points of view.

I hope that your marriage is not too adversely affected by all this. Try to keep your patience with her; I know it is not easy when you finally see the light, so to speak, and cannot get someone so close to you to see it also.

Good luck to you!

• shorty
    shorty

hi its welcome you will like it here many nice people and always remember to have an open mind!!

good luck,

jules

• Ray Skyhorse
    Ray Skyhorse

Allen,

Welcome. It's good to have you here. I think you'll find that this place is a good place to come for info and emotional support. I never was a JW. My wife is. I hope to get her out someday. Are you going to encourage you wife to leave the org?

Peace,
    Ray Skyhorse

• Kat_
    Kat_

Hi Wokeup,

I just wanted to join the others in welcoming you. This is truly a very friendly, supportive place! There are so many people here who have gone/are going through the various stages of being in and leaving the org. I also know there are many who still have spouses in the org. At any time, you'll find someone who knows exactly what you are going through and will be able to offer advice, support, and just basically be a friend. I also think you're going to provide invaluable support and friendship to others who may need it. Again, Welcome!

Kat

• wokeup
    wokeup

I'd like to thank those who've responded to my post such as larc,think41self,shorty,eyebrow,kat,ray skyhorse and mr. moe(You're pretty for a mr.) larc,thanks for the info. I'm fairly new on the internet but have already come to realize it has opened the door for me to not only get to know others but having access to so much info that has previously been out of reach. Look forward to getting to know you all...........Allen

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Allen, good to have you here.

I'm curious - you were raised a witness and spent 7 years in college?
    How'd you swing that? Are you a member of the (Micheal) Jackson family, or the artist formerly known as Prince?

You may eventually find that the most trouble will come when the WTB&TS doesn't smell your fear anymore. That is their favorite aroma, you know.

"I love the smell of FEAR; it's the smell of CONTROL."
    - Me, before I died

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit