If...

by Narkissos 19 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Interestingly, I would wonder what scientific explanation could do first. Or if I were to see something like "God's hand coming from the sky", I'd think that I'd lost my mind or either had too much to drink.

Scripturally speaking: No one can see God and live.

So that means if a person/s really did see God's hand, one/s wouldn't live to tell about it. Or, the person/s that did see this shouldn't be able to tell about it, because then that bible statement would be a lie. Therefore, that would bring into question the whole validity of the bible.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

If something happened which proved beyond any doubt that God (or gods) cannot exist, silencing forever all claims for realistic belief in an objective divinity, shattering even the uncertainty of agnosticism, would you start being interested in theology?

i suppose it's like being interested in mythology now. some people find it very interesting, as i do i. so i would probably be insterested in theology, yes, as a hobby.

hey, isn't that a description of you narkissos?

ts

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

tetra,

LOL. A pretty passionate hobby in my case... and a lonesome one too, as you can gather.

I'm dreaming of the time when the actuality of "God" would be forgotten long enough for its metaphorical resurrection; when children, looking at the moss-covered grave of "God," would naturally wonder: what did this stand for?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

No but I would be interested in the History of Theology

• force
    force

hiya

some people deny even facts. my great grandmother still doesnt believe man has been on da moon. she thinks it was a hoax.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    I'm dreaming of the time when the actuality of "God" would be forgotten long enough for its metaphorical resurrection; when children, looking at the moss-covered grave of "God," would naturally wonder: what did this stand for?

yes, that would be a beautiful day.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Hm...I didn`t understand the sentence...(scartching my head over language differences...) Just curious: Do you consider yourself an atheist, Narkissos?

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

" would you start being interested in theology?"

Yes but only if billions of people still believed in one religion or another and I was interested in theology. Theology would be a window into the inner workings of belief and how cultures and communities are affected by it and ultimately function. This is still a worthwhile persuit even if you personally know for a fact that God does not exist.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Thanks everybody.

HR,

LOL, that has to happen when a French and a Norwegian try to communicate in English...

Just curious: Do you consider yourself an atheist, Narkissos?

Yes, at least since I realised that "God" was actually a poor name for whatever I believed in.

At some point I noticed that the "God" I was referring to had nothing to do with the creation of the world or mankind. Not a judge either. He-she-it did not need to exist as a real being out there. I guess this applies to many modern theologians too but unlike them I feel I can't struggle with the dictionary -- that is, the real usage behind the dictionary. I can only call him/her/it "God" metaphorically, and this is a lost game in ambiguity as long as realistic belief in God, creator etc. stands. Whence my question.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Ok, I think I get it. Like modern theologians you don`t see the need for there to be an actually existing being "out there" - but at the same time (unlike modern theologians) you see the realistic implications for your view. That`s good, I respect that. I can`t really make up my mind on this whole God-thing, but I am a hardcore moral realist! I will always believe that there is such a thing as "good/right" and "evil/wrong", and I believe this to be...an "objective" reality. That is, I believe in "universal right/good" as something objective, not just empathy/antipathy. And because of this, the next "logial step" is the leap to God (in a Kierkegaard-ian sense, that there is no logical alternative). But I will never make that "leap" though. Christians are usually to crazy...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit