update on New Orleans

by stillajwexelder 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I live in an area hit by hurricanes this summer. There was quite a bit of damage to homes, and the society is now going to help fix the damage to the JWs houses. They set up an 'Operations Center' at one of the local KHs where materials that are purchaced are being stored.

My husband told me tonight that he's going to be doing 'guard duty', or whatever they call it, one night this week. They literally have JWs sitting there, 2 at a time, on 8 hour shifts, guarding the place 24 hours a day so that nothing is stolen. I asked him, so what happens if someone comes and wants to steal something?? He says, then we call 911. Oh, right, I said, I'm sure the thieves will stand there patiently while you do that! What happens if you should get hurt? Who's responsible then? I was then informed that I was paranoid and that no one will come and try to steal anything. I asked why he needed to be there to guard the stuff then.

The whole idea makes me mad.

GGG

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Oh come on now Moshe - that would be the Christian thing to do - but they are not very Christ Like - so no is the answer

• Saoirse
    Saoirse
    Keep it mind that it is standard practice for the WTS to demand the insurance checks from those that they have "helped" rebuild

Does anyone have a copy of one of these letters? My husband volunteered after Hurricane Andrew and I said he never heard of anything like that.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    Here's the deal, the volunteers fix homes, the society sends a bill for the materials used and what the labor would have cost outside the society. The homeowner is then asked to search his concious and mail a check. If there is an insurance payment that also belongs to the Society.

I can attest to this because it is exactly what happened to a relative of mine when his house was flooded in Houston after Allison........and he had insurance.

After using up his FEMA money buying a double door refridgerator, a huge big screen TV's and new furniture, he bristled when what he thought would be a voluntary fix for his home from the soceity, turned out to be a string attached coercive attack to get at his insurance check. He was presented with a bill for what it would've cost had someone outside of the soceity done the work and after that, he was the guest of honor at some surprise "shepherding calls". It got to the point where he refused to come out of the room when they made their visits effectively imprisoning him in his own home, because his wife, the faithful brainwashed dub she continues to be, was more than happy to entertain them whenever they dropped by.

The soceity had even set up a deal with a local brother who had a GC to "wash" insurance checks that required the leinholder's signature to further assure them of getting their cut. The cost of using this service.....why an additional percentage of the check of course.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    Does anyone have a copy of one of these letters?

I asked my relative could I see it and they flat out refused, although they talked at length about it not knowing in advance that that would be the endgame of the deal.

It's the big "pink elephant" in the room they all ignore as never happened now.

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

Actually, if I remember correctly, the WT actually insures all of the KH's themselves. -silent

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit