What is 'NIV' ?

by caryl 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

I love the NIV. I have the NIV Life Application Study Bible. It's kind of like a bible with a mini Insight book incorporated into it. It's very informative.

If you have any questions about bible translations, http://www.biblegateway.com/ is a great site. It has 20 different versions in English and several versions in foreign languages.

I want to get the Message bible just for kicks. It's written in urban speak with I think is hilarious. For example:

Matthew4:10 Jesus' refusal was curt: "Beat it, Satan!"

Rev. 21:3 I heard a voice thunder from the Throne: "Look! Look! God has moved into the neighborhood,

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.biblegateway.com/

NIV is default online bible at this site.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

The NIV is a good translation. It was one of the first translations I started reading when I started to question the org. There can never be a translation without bias, and of course the NIV can suffer from some of the same problems. In the end though, it is a good translation that's adventageous to have in your library.

• kristyann
    kristyann

Actually, the NIV is a literal translation, not a thought-for-thought translation. It is one of the more "modern" translations, as opposed to the King James Version (a.k.a. Authorized Version of 1611). Newer translations such as NIV and NASB use different manuscripts for translations than the KJV. In general, there are 4 general "text-types" of manuscripts that are used to translate the Bible. They are the Alexandrian text-type (predominant around Alexandria, found in most papyri), the Western text-type (mostly the western area of the Roman Empire), the Byzantine text-type (found in most later uncial and miniscule manuscripts, mostly from the area around Constantinople aka Byzantium) and the Caersarean text-type (which seems, to me anyway, to be the least common one and it's disputed by some scholars). Anyway, the KJV draws almost entirely from the Byzantine text-type, which is considered the "fuller" text-type, while newer versions draw a lot from the Alexandrian text-type, which is considered more "concise." (Modern versions don't just draw from the Alexandrian text-type, though... rather, they seem to be a blend of them all). There is actually a lot of controversy sometimes, because there are many KJV-only advocates who say that the modern versions such as the NIV eliminated important verses to become more concise, to take away from the deity of Christ, etc. (I have met some people like this at a Baptist church that thought the only "true" Bible was the KJV... but most Baptist churches are not like that, at least not in my experience). Anyway, the minority of scholars believe that there was some conspiracy on the part of the modern version's translators to eliminate verses. That's not a popular opinion. Most scholars agree that the Alexandrian text-type is actually the oldest, and that the stuff that makes the Byzantine text-type (used in the KJV) "fuller" was actually added later on. A lot of these verses were probably added in error later on by scribes... being a scribe was a very difficult, very time-consuming job, and it often took place under some pretty hot or pretty cold, pretty cramped, conditions. Sometimes, especially after working awhile, the scribes would add things in because they were used to hearing phrases in the church and they would assume that that's how the phrase should be read. Sometimes scribes would translate things differently because they think what they heard somewhere else was better, or they think that, since the church used a specific phrase so much, it must have been left out accidentally so they would add it in, even though it originally wasn't there. These difference, though, don't make a different Bible... they don't change any important doctrines, etc. I just find this topic so fascinating, and when I read the question, I was very excited!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Welcome to the board caryl

The NIV is probably one of the most popular translations in the UK - widely used as the 'pew Bible' in many different churches.

They have published an updated version last year called 'Today's New International Version' (TNIV) which has taken into account new discoveries relating to translation from original manuscripts. (sorry i seem to have writers block trying to describe that!) It also uses 'inclusive language' I don't know how long it will be before it replaces the NIV but the UK publisher seems to be putting a lot of effort into getting it into the market.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I had commented before double checking the info in the forward to my NIV. I think, however, it is Not completely word for word, however. Here is a paragraph from Zondervan that might explain where I'm coming from better.
    Glad to have you here!!

"Paraphrase help people who are new to the Bible understand it

Literal translations are helpful for people who want to study each word

The NIV is literal where possible and "thought-for-thought" where necessary to help the reader understand

The NIV is the best balance between accuracy and readibility. "

"Translation Philosophy/Format: Balance between word-for-word and thought-for-thought."

(I got this from this site: http://www.zondervanbibles.com/translations.htm)

Also, from the International Bible Society:

THE NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION
    Reading Level: Grade 7.8
    "The New International Version is a completely new rendering of the original languages done by an international group of more than a hundred scholars. These scholars worked many years and in several committees to produce an excellent thought-for-thought translation in contemporary English for private and public use. ...
    "The translators of the New International Version sought to make a version that was midway between a literal rendering (as in the New American Standard Bible) and a free paraphrase (as in The Living Bible). Their goal was to convey in English the thought of the original writers. ... The New Testament of the New International Version was published in 1973, and the entire Bible, in 1978. This version has been phenomenally successful. Millions and millions of readers have adopted the New International Version as their 'Bible.' Since 1987 it has outsold the King James Version, the best-seller for centuries—a remarkable indication of its popularity and acceptance in the Christian community. The New International Version, sponsored by the [International] Bible Society, ... has become a standard version used for private reading and pulpit reading in many English-speaking countries" (Comfort, pp. 79-81).
    For more detailed information about the NIV Translation, visit the NIV Translation and Information Resource Center - www.NIV.org.
    http://www.ibs.org/bibles/translations/

Sorry about that! I too have met many a Baptist who wouldn't read anything other then a KJV. I think the Niv strives to convey the most accurate thought that the writer had in mind at the time. They strive for a literal word for word, but sometimes it just is not possible to do so, the most important thing was to convey the accurate thought. I think that's what I was trying to say.

Welcome and blessings!
    Meagan

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Just for the sake of clarity, it might be worthwhile to state that the differences in textual basis which kristyann described only affect the New Testament. The OT of all recent Bibles is based on the Hebrew Masoretic text, generally from one 11th-century manuscript (Leningrad codex) -- the BHK and BHS are not critical editions like the NT Westcott-Hort or Nestle-Aland.

Now regardless of textual basis, as already pointed out the NIV is clearly Evangelical, which implies a conservative, harmonising, apologetic bias. This shows very much in the footnotes and introductions, and sometimes in the translation. For people interested in a more critical scholarly approach other versions such as the Jerusalem Bible or the NRSV might be better.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

The JW elder I was studying with said most Bibles were okay - except the NIV. He seemed quite hostile about the NIV for some reason.

My own favourite is the NJB, New Jerusalem Bible, which also seems popular with JWs.

I like it because instead of Lord it contains a transliteration (Yahweh) where YHWH originally occured throughout the Old Testament (Hebrew Scriptures).

But crucially, it does not put Yahweh or similar anywhere that is not justified. It does not therefore appear at all in the New Testament (Christian Greek Scriptures). For me, this level of accuracy is very important. I believe the most ancient manuscripts are the most reliable sources if you believe that God saw to it that the Bible was preserved. The OT should use the Tetragrammaton or a transliteration of it, not Lord. But the New Testament should use Lord to be true to what the original authors actually wrote - according to the best unbiased evidence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit