Former MORMON has a question ...

by thechurchisNOTtrue 10 Replies latest jw friends

• thechurchisNOTtrue
    thechurchisNOTtrue

Hello,

I escaped from a Mormon cult and am involved with a website that educates people about Mormonism. I run a "podcast" where Internet Users and subscribers can hear an audio commentary each month. We try to balance our production with humor, historical facts, cautions, guests, etc.

One thing I tend to see in the Ex-Mormon world is that the activists aren't really aware of other cults and those who try to help people out of these other so-called "religions." I think that it is extremely interesting to see the similarities and differences that exist in the experiences of those who exit cults.

I have read some information about the Ex-Jehovah's Witness movement, but I don't know much.

I really think that Ex-Mormons need to be more aware of other issues and cults besides their own. I would love to see how strong "Ex-Jehovah's Witness" activists would feel about appearing on our audio program. We can do a simple phone call over a weekend, or possibly use a free Internet Audio Chat program, then air the material.

One of my biggest concerns it to ensure that I find someone who is articulate and has a respectable profile inside the Ex-Jehovah's Witness movement.

Any comments, suggestions, referrals, etc. are greatly appreciated.

-"Hyrum"

The website I run is located at the following link:
    http://www.thechurchisnottrue.com/

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

I reply would be more than interested in discussing these things, but I know that other people here are way more capable than me in this. As far as telling about my own experiences and my exit, I would gladly do it.

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

I think you'll find about a thousand volunteers here.....

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I'm sure there will be several from this forum that would be good candidates for what you are asking. Also, if you haven't seen this website, there is some great info posted at: www.freeminds.org (The site owner Randy Watters posts here as Dogpatch)

Welcome to the forum and we look forward to your posts!!!

Swalker

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

Welcome!!!

I would suggest going to Silent Lambs www.silentlambs.org and contact Bill Bowen. He's been on Dateline and several radio programs. We have a poster here named Bryan that just wrote a book and appeared on a radio show. Barbara Anderson was also on the Dateline program, her name on here is AndersonsInfo.

I really think that Ex-Mormons need to be more aware of other issues and cults besides their own.
    I think the same can be said for ex-JWs too. I've lurked at ex-Mormon boards before and I was astounded at the number of similarities we have. I'm sure most here would gladly welcome hearing from members of the ex-Mormon community.
  • misspeaches
    misspeaches

I will bump this up as I am sure that many would be interested in this project.

We have quite a few people who a lot of media experience telling people about the JW's. Additionally quite a few books have been written by our ex JW community which can be enlightening.

Tell your online friends to come on over and hang out with us.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Former mormom, say that 5 times fast. ha ha

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

So which church/faith/belief system are you a member of now if any?

• ringo5
    ringo5

I enjoyed reading "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer and I recommended the book to my Mom hoping she'd see the similarities but I think she was onto me, so I couldn't elicit much of a review out of her...

nice site by the way, I thought Russel was a bit out there but Joseph had wild imagination too:

• greendawn
    greendawn

It is very constructive for members of ex cults to co operate against their former organisations. The Mormons have a connection with the JWS in as much as their founders were both free masons so in a way they are both offshoots of free masonry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit