My poor mum - She's off to clarify things with the elders

by misspeaches 20 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Hmmm, let's see. They're building a new housing building using volunteer labor, which costs them very little. Then, when they're finished, they lay off the workers, say, oops we don't need this anymore 'cause we're downsizing, and sell the building for an obscene amount of money.

Works for me.

Nina

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Does anyone have a link to the original thread about 1500 bethelites being layed off, my JW mother-in-law is coming over tonight and I want to drop that bit of info on her.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    You don't have to reveal your sources. Journalists don't, why should we? You can just say "Someone close to the action. I promised not to name names."

hehe, I like your thinking Scully.......good advice

Yeah, MissP, do be careful or you may be outed sooner than you want to be or are ready for.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Scully

You don't have to reveal your sources.; Journalists don't, why should we? You can just say "Someone close to the action. I promised not to name names."

Excellent suggestion, thank you. I think that this really should be common knowledge amongst the congregations. Then when they start saying forget college reach out for bethel etc you can counter argue it with this.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    Hmmm, let's see. They're building a new housing building using volunteer labor, which costs them very little. Then, when they're finished, they lay off the workers, say, oops we don't need this anymore 'cause we're downsizing, and sell the building for an obscene amount of money

Yeah, isn't that what they did with the Furman Street complex? I remember all the hullabaloo there was when they got that..........one building with over a million square feet all by itself.........and, didn't they sell it about two or three years ago? Considering how much property on the water with that kind of view would go for......holy crap........can anyone sing "we're in the money"?

• Forscher
    Forscher

Yeah. I dropped the news a few days after it was announced to the Bethelites to a MS in another town. His mouth hit the ground! He so prides himself on being in the know since his fsther-in-law is real connected. Apparently the news hadn't reached them yet. What is so funny is that I know alot more about what is going on in the organization now than I ever knew while I was in. I reckon the net is a good leveler.
    Forscher

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Then, when they're finished, they lay off the workers, say, oops we don't need this anymore 'cause we're downsizing, and sell the building for an obscene amount of money.

That's the only logical explanation.

Brooklyn is one of those places where real estate prices have skyrocketed in the past 5-7 years, with some properties doubling (or more) in value. It's interesting they are building living quarters there now, not factories.

Can you imagine what those waterfront (I'm guessing, but I bet there is at least a water view) condos will be worth on the market when they put them up for sale in a year or two? Who says the JWs don't plan for retirement? Someone at Brooklyn is certainly planning for their golden years. Hint: it's not the rank and file.

• bebu
    bebu

Here is a very ignorant question.

I don't see why this is upsetting to JWs, or shocking. What dearly-held value or teaching or belief is being undermined by this action? Is it that JWs assumed that the WT and Bethel could only grow, especially since they constantly look at statistics of growth?

Thanks for helping,

bebu

never-a-dub class

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Is it that JWs assumed that the WT and Bethel could only grow, especially since they constantly look at statistics of growth?

Bingo!

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Hi Bebu... You asked:

What dearly-held value or teaching or belief is being undermined by this action?

Its not really a value or teaching or belief. I just want my mum to realise that I know what is going on. Then one day when the opportunity arises and I get to lay some bombshells on her she will have already come to realise that I do know what it is I am talking about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit