JUST HOW GULLIBLE ARE YOU? DO YOU LIKE IT THAT WAY?

by Terry 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• greendawn
    greendawn

Most humans or the masses as they are called are very gullible deep down, that's why it was always easy for smart politicians and religious leaders to deceive them. They just don't like exertng the rather intense effort needed to be use the critical faculty.

Babylon the great finds it easy to sit atop the masses of mankind. But as Paul says "beware of those who are shrewd in contriving deception"

• Poztate
    Poztate
    This sort of thing goes on with people all the time.

People are reluctant to change their INVESTED world view.

They'd rather live in a fantasy if it comfortable.

Are you that way?

Terry

Terry...It sounds like you know my wife. She is a WT "lifer" who has invested heavily in the cult since birth. NOTHING will change her ideas of reality and I have stopped trying.

I got out 25 years ago and now think of myself as a cynical sort of guy.

• Quentin
    Quentin
    JUST HOW GULLIBLE ARE YOU?

There was a time when gullible was my middle name. People are gullible because people need to believe in something...doesn't matter what it is, they have to believe. Especially if they don't believe in themselves. When you as a person begin to see value in yourself, gulliblity shrinks. Sounds simple, but it's not. We attach ourselves to all manner of things so we can believe and belong. The more grandiose it is the tighter we hold on...took me six, seven years to let go of the WT. Took several more years before I stopped looking at the world through a WT filter. Gullible? Yeah I was gullible. Now I'm not...trust nothing, question everything...in the end you'll feel better for it.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Sometimes I'm gullible, sometimes I'm not. I give people the benefit of the doubt unless I have a reason not to.

• FairMind
    FairMind
    What's the difference between cynicism and scepticism?

The major difference is how they are spelled.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    We are apostates to fantasy. We are apostates to mind-control. We are apostates to a manufactured world-view. We are apostates to counterfeit reality.

I sense we all innately desire to live truth, rather than a lie.

The problem seems to begin at a very young age when the unimaginable purity of consciousness is blurred and hidden under tons of programing. The young mind, the lens consciousness often looks through, is immersed with mistaken information on self and other, from people who haven't a clue as to what is false and what is true.

My journey has come to be one of radical inquiry and investigation, down to sincerely and earnestly questioning my own self identity. Many would likely view this as crazy. Obviously there is the experience of bodies running around, and a common sense of isolation within one. But is this true? Is this the beginning and end to what looks out these eyes? What am I really? What is real?

I have discovered the mind can not be trusted. Though it is a wondrous thing, it only knows what it re-cognizes, or has previously determined as this or that, from dubious information past down. New discovery seems to emerge from a vaster wisdom, that, from which the mind borrows it's power. This indescribable-ness is met in stillness. In the space between thoughts and words. In the vastness which holds all phenomena. In what has before been ignored as no thing.

So it comes down to not believing anything. Even something most never imagine to question, like an individual "me" existing in a separate universe. For all I know, the entire experience of phenomena is a dream. The only indisputable fact or truth there is to go on, is there is existence: I am. Now what/who, am I -- really?

I can not say what has been discovered via such investigation. Words are only concepts that are too often added to beliefs of what we are not....under this counterfeit reality, we are the living truth. But, don't believe me.

j

• Confession
    Confession

This reminds me somewhat of the conversation I had with Tom Cabeen, just as I was coming out mentally. He asked me, "If you had cancer, would you want to know? Or would you rather not?"

For me, the answer was simple: I've gotta know. When my daughter was first exposed to facts detrimental to the Watchtower's position of authority, I asked her this question. She said she'd rather not know. Yes, she thought she'd rather live a happier life for the time being--until the cancer finally overtakes her. And she deeply wished she'd never found any of those documents in my computer that day. I'm happy to say she no longer feels this way about the organization.

It's been a golden lesson for us, hasn't it? For some of us, we might've been gullible for the rest of our lives if it hadn't been for that terrible-yet-eye-opening-and-life-changing experience.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    Has any lady ever asked you, "How do I look in this dress?" only to sulk if you didn't answer the answer SHE WANTED TO HEAR?

Terry,

You push all the buttons!!!! Are you picking on women?

It's all a matter of perception isn't it? and personal opinion. Who is the expert?

In the case of how I look in a dress I want to be completely gullible, and hopefully the man I would be foolish to ask "How do I look in this dress?" is smart enough to let me have my rose colored glasses on concerning this.

If I am in the middle of a super holiday on an oasis paradise.......ocean before me, white sands, sunshine, a nice breeze, that would not be the time to tell me I have terminal cancer. Let me enjoy this fantasy to the fullest. There is always time for bad news. If one of my children is in a car accident and has only a few days of life to life..........Call me Immediately!!!

Real life.......the truth and meaning of life...........one researches on their own......through life experiances and reactions to them, study, conversations, a deep yearning for answers, if you are willing to know yourself and those around you.........In this case I want to know the truth.........no matter how brutal it is. Then I have a choice to make with that information.

I was very cynical for a long time and its no fun!

purps

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I know that sometimes people can use lots of words, insert a few big words and post in a philisophical style and snow a few other gullible people.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    A CYNIC views life as it is without resorting to the rose-colored glasses of an ideology or other mitigating emotional stances. A cynic is often considered a "party-pooper" by those around them. However, the purpose of cynicism is to deal with reality as much as humanly possible. A cynic wants to deal with facts and not with window-dressings.

A SKEPTIC is another matter. Often a skeptic is philisophically reticent to accept that anything can be proved and that all we can hope for is a vague approximation of reality due to the flaw in human perception.

cool. i guess i am both, but lately certainly more cynic. but like satanus said, it's depressing, but whatever. everytime i come to this board, or iidb.org, i am reminded why i am a cynic. perhaps if i stopped i would find something more comforting. and based on the idea that cynics are party-poopers, i doubt i would hear many people complaining, lol.

i am also a fan of cynic comedians. bill hicks comes to mind immediately. in my universe, these guys are the saints.

am i gullible? not anymore, and yes, sometimes it's scary. but it's worth it.

thanks terry. i miss your posts man.

TS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit