My apology to Victims of Molestation within the Watchtower

by jst2laws 8 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Newbies and the WT molestation problem Stone hearted JW's who dismiss the child molestation problem within the Watchtower, such as Scholar, actually do us a favor. Once our blood pressure returns to normal we can reflect rationally not only on how badly victims of molestation have been treated inside the Org but also upon how disgustingly insensitive the Watchtower has been to public outcry. I, as a former elder, would like to apologize for my part in neglecting victims of molestation. I want you to know some of us wake up and take a stand. Those elders who do not wake up, may one day take 'the stand' in a court room. Did you know that a court in Boston almost two years ago found the elders may be sued for failing their 'fiduciary duty'. This case seems to be ongoing but do you elders know what that means? You may become the defendant for doing what the watchtower told you to do. Newbies here at JWD who endured the Watchtowers mismanagement of molestation, you are not forgotten. With the focus lately on the Watchtower's misrepresentation of medical facts in their blood policy I want you to know the molestation issue is still hot in courts across the USA. In fact, those who have been here for only weeks, months or a year, have to told your story? We want to hear from you. Don't reveal more than your comfortable with. If you would like, just sign in and say I'm one of them. You will find a world of support. Let Scholar and the Watchtower know you are here, and their indifference toward you is what hurts now. Jst2laws

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Steve I appreciate your apology. Some may have seen this before but you are right. So many new ones are coming in here. They need to know that as an elder you realized how bad the WTS policy was and how the elders operate from "policy" instead of their hearts and minds.

JWs like scholar reflect the mindset of the WTS - unyeilding and self-protected. The image for the WTS is always about how it will look to others. And what they don't seem to get is that by keeping this under the carpet, in the closet and behind closed doors makes them look even worse. I think at this point after all the media attention over the last few years about the only people who actually believe the WTS' perspective of the sexual abuse within the org are the JWs themselves.

JWs like scholar are doing us a service. Regardless of how much information you give them they dig in their heels and support the WTS and its policy. My hope is that nayone reading it will see the mindset.

But I have to admit it does get wearisome.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Does anyone have the case number for that case in Boston? Or even better a URL that point straight to it?

Thanks!

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/02/23/ruling_offers_new_basis_for_suits_against_churches/

Ruling offers new basis for suits against churches

By Michael Kunzelman, Associated Press | February 23, 2005

A Superior Court judge has ruled that a Jehovah's Witness church in Boston can be sued for breaking its trust and legal duty to a girl who said she was sexually abused by one of the church's ministerial servants.

Suffolk Superior Court Judge Herman Smith Jr.'s ruling is believed to be the first time a Massachusetts court has determined that church officials have a "fiduciary duty" to members of their congregation, a relationship akin to the one lawyers and doctors share with clients and patients.

Smith's ruling, made earlier this month, also is expected to open another legal channel for lawyers to bring civil suits against churches for clergy abuse cases, according to Lisa Bruno, news editor for Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly.

"It gives another piece of ammunition to plaintiffs, another grounds for finding a church liable for the actions of priests and ministers," Bruno said.

Carmen Durso, a Boston lawyer who settled 40 lawsuits against the Archdiocese of Boston in 2003, said he expects Smith's ruling to pave the way for more clergy abuse cases to proceed.

"It affords another basis, a stronger basis, for bringing claims against churches in sex abuse cases," Durso said.

The girl at the center of Smith's ruling was between 9 and 11 when a ministerial servant with the Columbus Park Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses allegedly molested her during Bible study classes in her home, Lawyers Weekly reported.

The girl's parents, who learned about the alleged abuse in August 2000, sued the ministerial servant and two Boston-area Jehovah's Witness congregations for negligence as well as breach of fiduciary duty. altalt © Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/dorchester.htm

Ronald Broadard went to the girl's home in Dorchester, specifically asking to ''talk about God with the kids,'' according to the lawsuit. When the girl's parents agreed, he began meeting with the girl in their home in 1998, when she was about 10. But while he was visiting her from 1998 to 2000, they charge, he was molesting her. The girl's parents alerted authorities in the fall of 2000. The Globe's policy is not to name alleged victims of sexual abuse unless they agree to be identified.

• Mr Rocky
    Mr Rocky

Wouldn't be great to in touch with a lawyer before telling elders first that he/she is being molested by JW pedophile?.

Just think she/he could tape record the elders telling you that you have to have two witnesses. That when the perp is sorry the victim has to forgive. If she/he doesn't forgive they will disfellowship her/him. That if you go to the authorities she/he get's disfellowshipped and so forth. Even get it on tape that the Borg is behind these rules!

Has this been done before? Wouldn't be great to go into court with this? Most States allow taping a conversation between three or more parties without asking. For this reason no one should have to ask if they can tape a judical meeting should they?

The victim certainly would have a hard time doing this though. But wouldn't be cool !

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

Based of the court ruling then, on the local level, elders and MS can be sued when they follow the Watchtower procedures (two witness rule) for MIShandling cases of child abuse.

That should make them consider carefully if they value more their responsibility to the victim or to the Watchtower. If it is to Watchtower then they have a lot to lose not to mention a day in court.

YC

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Ladylee,

Steve I appreciate your apology. Some may have seen this before but you are right. So many new ones are coming in here. They need to know that as an elder you realized how bad the WTS policy was and how the elders operate from "policy" instead of their hearts and minds.

Yes, I know there was a lot of conflict in the hearts and minds of several elders. I was in touch with some bros in the legal dept and service department on a case of molestation and I believe the fellows I dealt with were genuine, they cared. There were others who's hearts and minds were seemingly shut down, just robotically obeying WT rules. It is a cold system. It was the system, bad policies, that screwed people up. If anyone would like to talk about there experience but not post it publicly, please PM me or someone you trust, like Ladylee.

Blondie,

Thanks for finding that report on the Boston case.

Steve

• avishai
    avishai

Wow. That took some big ones, Steve.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit