HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT VIDEO TAPING

by juni 6 Replies latest jw friends

• juni
    juni

My friend, who is still attending meetings, tried to video tape a part on the Theocratic School. He was told to take it down. Is this one individual's opinion? Or is it organizational?

Can you vido tape at meetings and assemblies? And if not, is this something new or has it always been this way?

Appreciate all of your replies. Thanks. Juni~~~~~~~~

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

I videotaped my first public talk as do many in our tech savy world. Videotaping is permissible at assembly and conventions as long as the equipment us not causing a hazzard to anyone else and it is used separately from the official sound/electrical system used by the convention committee.

As to locally videotaping, this would be allowed or not allowed as per the local Body of Elders. If your friend was intending to videotape himself, a first talk of a family member or bible study, the elders could have allowed it. But it is their decision. With the congregational and elder problems coming out on the internet, the elders might be feeling pressure to contain ways that their words might be used against them and so they ban local taping.

They would'nt use that excuse but they could use the issue of privacy of the other members of the congregation. The School (and Service meeting following) are not listed as public meetings so the privacy issue could possibly be used. But the Sunday talk and Watchtower Study, those ARE open to the public so priviledge of privacy cannot be claimed by the elders or anybody present.

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

That's a new one on me.

I know many a parent who has videotaped the TMS when their child had a part on the school.

Also, I've seen many at the District conventions that would videotape the drama.

Of all the times I've seen JWs videotaping, no one told them to take it down. Sounds like a case of a local arrangment versus orginizational. Might be an elder who think he is God's gift to the org.

• Mr Rocky
    Mr Rocky

It would seem to me that the private land owners can stop you from video taping on their property, i.e. corporation officers i.e. elders in control.

Only from public land is it a god given right to video tape at something on private land.

Public meetings will not make it public land.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Taping at meetings? That just seems a litte strange, I can see the elders saying take it down. Unless your taping it for some old sister or something. If you where going to tape and assembly or convention? They will not bother you. Each year at our assembly they said you could, but you wern't allowed to plug your camera into any of the power outlets and they didn't want you blocking the stairs or anybodys line of sight.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Just get a body cam!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

news to me - our congregation allows videotaping - could be as has been pointed out, the society getting anal about all the publicity and do not want anybody having taped evidence

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit