Do elders get selected because they buy a lot of literature?

by Madame Quixote 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

I was just wondering today about who buys the bulk of the lit from the JW org. I got to thinking that the most JW literature I ever saw anywhere was in the KH book store/library, and in our house. My dad became an elder when I was pretty young; I think it had something to do with all the lit he used to buy at the KH, but can't be sure. Does anyone else see or suspect any correlation between amount of literature bought and status within the local KH? I think there is one, but then again, the most devout people will be likely to want to buy the lit and pass it on in field service. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

In theory, literature is no longer purchased - not since 1992. It is placed and voluntary donations are made, In theory, unless paying by check , nobody should know how much a person is contributing. No elders are selected by the numbers of hours they get on their record cards and how often they are seen out on the ministry with the brothers and sisters. In addition elders should be reasonable teachers from the platform. It also helps if they are seen cleaning the Kingdom Hall and giving the elderly etc rides to the Kingdom Hall - That is how they are selected

• JH
    JH

Basically, if a brother is a "Yes man", and capable of teaching, and with a minimum of JW knowledge, he will climb up the ladder quite fast.

• rekless
    rekless

In addition to doing everything that the elders don't want to do themselves.That helps more than anything, just be available and regular.

• Sentient
    Sentient

That's what it's about, loyalty and usefulness to the elders, and doing the other minimum things required (such as being "above reproach"...having a good image at the KH). Also, tattling on your fellow brothers and sisters to the elders will get you there faster.

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

Don't think so, but this thread did make me think how much money they make on the literature.

1: They print it at minimal cost

2: When publishers pick up literature at the hall, they are encouraged to make a donation for it. This means every single mag or book they publish has already been sold.

3: Then when they place it in the field, they ask for further donation for it

4: So even if it collects dust while sitting on their tables at home, the Society has already been paid$$

5: Not a bad scam.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit