JW video about Katrina relief

by zagor 42 Replies latest social entertainment

• zagor
    zagor

I've just discovered google's video engine so I've treid it by finding something about jws

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

To the right of the video and below the thumbnail prints (turns sound off) there is a paragraph in which it states "Jehovah's Witnesses are known for their public works." The only public works they're commonly known for is going door to door in the publication business.

While the jdubyas are known within the organization for sending relief for their own, they don't extend relief to outsiders or worldly people or their "neighbors" unless they're attempting to convince someone they're Christians and initiate bible studies. They are notorious for being downright hostile to refugees from the 911 disaster.

Was that video made by a jdubya? Or was it made by the media? He who toots his own horn is well-touted. I'm sure the Catholics, Baptists, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Jewish, Hindu, non-denominational, or whatever that volunteered at the sites of the disastrous aftermath of Katrina didn't feel the need to bray about it in a video. The news media caught them, many anonymous, because one doesn't need to bray about one's good works publicly to be noticed by God, according to the scriptures.

According to the scriptures (irrelevant whether you believe them or not), Jesus didn't advertise. And word grew about him and his works to the public in general. Without any video tapes doctored with smellodies.

Frannie

• blondie
    blondie

Warning, kingdom music will soon break forth.

The right hand does not let the left hand know what it is doing, blowing horns before them.

• zagor
    zagor
    To the right of the video and below the thumbnail prints (turns sound off) there is a paragraph in which it states "Jehovah's Witnesses are known for their public works. The only public works they're commonly known for is going door to door in the publication business.

I know, that's why it is in the entertainment section

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

Ooo, am I the only one who shuddered when they watched this?? The part that really got me was when the guy said that no, he didn't want to go, he wanted to stay and work the rest of his life... in Paradise. That's the first time I've ever seen anyone happily about WTS doctrine, and it just kinda freaked me out.

This video was definitely produced by a JW, it reeks of the superiority complex that JWs have. The video recounts the statistics from a particular relief mission that the JWs put together - numbers of supplies gathered, numbers of boxes packed, numbers of volunteers, the number of days it took to accomplish their goal, the numbers of hours per day that the volunteers worked, the number of trucks it took to ship everything. It's all numbers!! To me, that screams, "Look, see how much we did?? See how we're so much better than you??"

The WTS is all about numbers - the 144 000, counting hours for field service, attending 5 meetings a week, seeing how many people they can convert - and this video is no different.

And then there's the part where it claims that nobody complained - nope, not once!! I'm willing to bet that there was plenty of grumbling among the people who didn't want to be there - people who went to keep up appearances. And I'm also willing to bet that the people who didn't complain were either keeping quiet or were so happy to be securing their place in Paradise that the work wasn't so bad. And besides, they probably took a couple of days off from their real jobs to take part in this WTS activity.

Oh yeah, and gotta love the comment about can and jar sizes - variability in sizes caused frustration, so they figure that in Paradise, there'll only be one size!! YAY!! That's why I want to go to Paradise, so all of my cans will be the same size.

This is just a way of making the JWs look good in the eyes of mainstream society. I'll bet there were other ulterior motives here, too - maybe they could "count time" this way?? Think of how many hours you could count for a few days of relief work!!

And since when are JWs known for their public works?? I know Mormons are known for being very helpful, I know that the Salvation Army is known for its public works, so how are the JWs known for their public works?? The only thing these people do in public is knock on people's doors, insult other people's beliefs, ignore holidays and let their family members die for lack of a blood transfusion.

Just my opinion.

-Becka :)

• wednesday
    wednesday

I was told recently that the relef team for jws went to Houston and rebuilt a womans home that had been damaged. The woman was a non believing family member of a jw. They are so pitiful, they throw some crumbs at one worldy person and they will probably video it so it can be shown as proof that they do not have ice water running through their veins and actually have a heart. It won't work, too many of us already know the real truth.

The music to the video nearly gave me an anxiety attack. All those happy deluded faces. All waiting for paradise.

• FMZ
    FMZ

JWs or not... they did a beautiful thing.

KJ

• sf
    sf

Ted! You and da boyz are misrepresentin' again. Why do you keep doin' it brotha?

sKally

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

I agree, any kind of relief effort to help those in need is a beautiful thing. In this case, however, I find myself questioning motives - are the JWs trying to make themselves look good by launching such a large relief effort?? They must know that the rest of the world doesn't hold them in high esteem, are they trying to look good for the sake of converting new members?? Also, why make a video?? Whether the creator of this video did this as a personal project or for the WTS, it seems like it is trying to glorify the JWs and their efforts to help others, especially when it flaunts the numbers involved. True, any and all efforts to help those in need are noble and truly beautiful, but by doing this for the Katrina victims, the JWs aren't special, there were many groups and charities working to help the victims. To me, this video seems to single out the JWs for their efforts and highlight what they did, as if it was somehow better than everyone else's efforts.

But I do agree, helping those in need is a noble cause and very beautiful.

-Becka :)

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

They trashed what they did by braying about it and making an accounting of everything they did and, no doubt, the time they spent. It certainly wasn't for tax purposes!

And motive counts for more than effort.

Frannie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit