Pride in Statistics. How well are the JW's doing, really?

by jgnat 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

Hey Wow Jgnat that was a greaaaat piece of research! It certainly helps to see WT statistics in perspective. I have always felt that these statistics for which the WTS is so inordinately proud are impressive only in isolation. I feel that there are several little things that the WTS does to exaggerate the numbers. Take the number of lands that they are represented in: 235 - now that's impressive is'nt it? In fact the org will point out that it beats all those other groups you listed. The fact is, that several of these lands, which happen to be a single geo-political and administrative unit are deliberately broken down to give the impression that the WTS is more widespread than it is.

Take for instance the Netherlands Antilles - it is made up of six islands all of which are grouped together under one Head of State with one flag and one currency: Bonaire, Curacao, Saba, St Eustatius, and St Maarten. These are all listed seperately in the statistics [I only have the 2003 census from the 01.01.04 WT] as if they are more than one "land"

Then you've got the US Territory of The Northern Marianas, which is also only one land, but by listing the three islands of Saipan, Tinian, and Rota seperately we get this larger figure

The Federated States of Micronesia is made up of 4 states [or islands, but still officialy called states] these are Kosrae, Pohnpei, Chuuk, [or Truk] and Yap . These are listed seperately as well.

The Federation of St Kitts and Nevis is "one land" but it is listed seperately

This makes 15 seperate entries in the stats that actually represent only 4 "lands"

Using this same logic, I submit we could list the 50 states of the Union seperately, the 4 Home Countries of the UK [England, Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland] seperately, the 12 provinces of Canada, the 7 states of Australia, the 3 islands of New Zealand, the 16 lander of Germany etc etc all seperately - Now THAT would be one hell of a stat!! You could create some 500 "lands"

But then, maybe the "statisticians" of the WTS have only this limited imagination

Still, and all, your research was terific thanks

Cheers

• Muffinman
    Muffinman

I must admit, I had no idea other ministries where this active. The WTS's statistics really pale cmpared to 611 bible translations!

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Aren't the 7th Day Adventists, who number about 13 million, getting 1 million new converts each year?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit