Do you join other religions to fill a void, or is it real to you?

by free2beme 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Balsam
    Balsam

We haven't joined a religion but find the Unitarian Universalist pretty interesting. No specific religious belief's, everyone is welcomed.

I think the Gnostics are the right view of the Jewish writings, and the NT. But there is no religion to join or adhere to. I am certain of that. The tough thing for JW is feeling like ex-witnesses must fill up the void. The thing is, it just takes them into more cults like the mormons or other is they are not careful.

Balsam

• free2beme
    free2beme

What I have seen, is the passion for religion or sometimes passed to other religions or even clubs or hobbies. What ever it takes to heal is up to the person, just sometimes you have to step back and look at what you are doing from another point of view.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I didn't attend any church for a number of years after fading, just wasn't interested. During that time, I studied a great deal on my own, read many books on a wide variety of topics, and decided what my own personal beliefs were. Then I decided that it wouldn't be a bad thing to hang out with people who had similar beliefs, so I visited a couple of places until I found a good match, which turned out to be the local Unitarian Universalist church.

• poppers
    poppers

"...During that time, I studied a great deal on my own, read many books on a wide variety of topics, and decided what my own personal beliefs were."
    I think that this is fairly common for someone who is honestly searching. But, in the end, what has really been accomplished except to take on board another set of beliefs, even if they are "original" with you. Why is it that people, for the most part, feel that they MUST have a set of beliefs? If one were truly courageous and honest in their investigation of what "god" is, then they perhaps may see what happens when ALL beliefs and ALL religions are left behind. Beliefs are imaginary only, created and sustained by the mind, and for the most part blindly followed. Is there "something" that lies beyond the mind, beyond that which would entertain any belief whatsoever? Isn't this worth investigating directly for oneself? A belief arises within "something", yet this "something" usually gets ignored or glossed over as not worthy of attention. This "container" of belief must have some value worth investigation.
    Without "beliefs" one is left with nothing to depend on except one's direct experience of what is unfolding right now in this very moment. Without beliefs clouding up the landscape, one is left with no support in interpreting anything at all - instead, one will be left with the "isness" of this very moment, with the "isness" of one's very existence being reflected in the "isness" of the entire creation. In this there is peace, there is contentment, there is fulfilment, and there is the oneness with all that is.
    Why are most not willing to entertain such an investigation? Fear; fear that has arisen as a result of past belief systems, and ultimately, a fear of discovering what one really is because that discovery cannot be put into words because it lies beyond the mind. The human mind cannot conceive of an existence which is not mind-based, and as a result, those who are trapped in their minds will continue to ping pong back and forth from one set of beliefs to another, or stubbornly cling to one set. They will continue to be exposed to the dualism of the mind dominated world, ignorant of the unity of all creation, ignorant of their true nature, and ignorant of their wholeness.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Poppers,

Your post was so lucid and lovely. I enjoyed how it laid bare the entrapment of beliefs for us to see; and then enticed us to look deeper into what is free.

Thank you so much for your kindly, clear, and helpful wisdom.

j

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i need to get a bumper sticker made up that says:

I break for James Thomas & Poppers

=====

oh, and DocHayes, this:

How did I cope? I joined the Navy. It's kinda like a cult. They deprive you of sleep, food, and strip you of your individuality, and mold you around the "Navy" way. You can't get out as easily as you got in.

At least the chow is decent, the benefits are better, and I get a chance to kill people, and blow stuff up.

...was one of the funniest posts i have read in a while. LOL, thanks for that.

ts

• Satanus
    Satanus
    Do you join other religions to fill a void, or is it real to you?

That is a question that answers itself. Religions are an escape from self, as are drugs such as crack and booze. Some drugs such as the psychedelics are the exception, as they can be used for introspection to help one find oneself, the real self.

Since i left the wt, i have been on the road to finding myself. As a transitional religious drug, i spent some time in christianity. I still have an issue or two to go through to reach the real me. Hopefully, i will be strong enough to get there before i die, or the issues kill me.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit